1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Made The Big Decision to Free Range

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LillianMae, Jul 24, 2013.

1. LillianMae

LillianMae Chirping

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    So I had a small, too small run for my seven birds. One of them started bullying, so as of yesterday my birds are free range! They have never been so happy. I try to keep them out of the lower area because there is really long grass down there. They're mainly staying in the garden because there are lots of berries (non poisonous of course), shade, feed, and water are all there. They're sooooo happy though

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Free ranging does indeed make for happy chickens. There are dangers of course but if losing a chicken is the price for flock that has a happier existence, it's a risk I am willing to take.

3. LillianMae

LillianMae Chirping

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    Same here, at first I wasn't, because two years ago in our barn all of the chickens (thirty) except nine got killed. That was what I was worried about. Then I realized as long as they're up here they should be safe, and the barn will be completely ready soon (or at least enough of it to be safe)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: