Madison Heights MI, law change!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by justcelia, Nov 25, 2010.

1. justcelia

justcelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    SE Michigan
    MADISON HEIGHTS — Chickens can come home to roost in the city now that officials have voted to allow homeowners to keep a limited number of hens.

The City Council this week voted to amend the city’s animal control ordinance which formerly banned backyard henhouses and forced resident Sara Kuzma to move her three chickens out of town back in July.

Residents on both sides of the chicken controversy squawked to city officials over several months on the issue.

The new amendment goes into effect 10 days after officials have a second reading of the change Dec. 13, said City Manager Jon Austin.

The measure allows three hens or chicks per household and bans roosters, but the new law will expire in two years, Austin said.

“It’s a bit of a trial period,” he said. “At the end of the two years the council will weigh the impact of the domestic hen provision and decide whether to continue it.”

Hen owners will have to license the birds with the city under the new amendment, Austin said.

The City Council voted 5-2 on Monday to allow hens in Madison Heights. Mayor Edward Swanson and Councilman Richard Clark voted to continue the hen ban.

“I think (Kuzma) is well prepared for raising hens and I give her a lot of credit,” Swanson said. “But I think this could get out of hand with future residents.”

Other cities such as Hazel Park, Ann Arbor and Redford have lifted bans on chickens as suburbanites embrace an eco-friendly trend of having cheaper, fresh eggs without having to buy them from chain stores which often sell eggs from massive feedlot operations

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by