Madonna is a MAN? My Sex Link and Ameraucana are both roo's?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jasminty, Oct 27, 2010.

1. jasminty

jasminty Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2008
    CA
    I am hoping maybe I am just crazy, but it looks to me that both these birds are undeniably Roosters, and I swear I heard a cock-a-doodle do come from my yard yesterday. I have this delusion that maybe they wont crow too much and we can keep one (I'm guessing we don't have room for two and they would fight) Are there ever "quiet" Roos? [​IMG]

Take a look and tell me what you think? I don't understand how the sex link turned out to be male, but it has long neck feathers, curling tail feathers, is almost as taller than my full grown girls I have. The comb and waddles (while not bigger than my full grown girls of various breeds) are bight red, where the other breeds of the same age are still very pale. Was a bit bigger and more aggressive as the others as a chick.

The Ameraucana is the one I suspect is crowing, and well just looks like it has to be a rooster, and is really quiet sweet. I picked him as a chick because the color was more gray then brown, perhaps that is where I went wrong? He wants to get up as high as he can, and can jump up almost 5ft to get on top of things; like he wants to look over his flock and crow his magnificence to the world (I'm having an hard time keeping him contained to their area), unlike the rest who are happy to stay closer to the ground and where they belong, safe from the dogs! He isn't always so upright as in these picks but does seem taller than the others.

Also I have seen both of them put full hackles up at each other and do the jump - kick rooster fight thing, though more in a playful fashion...

I think they are between 4-5 months old, but have lost track. None (of the babies) are laying yet but I expect them to soon. They were all hatched the same week and I think I got them mid June.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

<BR>
    Look at Madonna's (sex link) face compared to this Austrolop who is the same age?
    [​IMG]

<BR>
    For comparison (and to show off her pretty beard!). She is the same age as the Ameraucana in question
    [​IMG]

<BR>
    Hackles and tail Feathers say Roo to me!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please tell me I'm crazy and they are really girls!!!

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I'm sorry, you already know the answer to your question. You're just in denial. [​IMG] I wish there was some way to muzzle a rooster.

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Both roosters sorry.

4. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    I'm no expert, but it looks to me like you've got two roos. And yes, there are nice ones and there are mean ones!!

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That's a rooster for sure, but not an Ameraucana. [​IMG]

btw I love the markings on your Easter Egger hen - Very bold!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  6. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Love your EE roo, looks like a patch work quilt. [​IMG] I'm a sucker for odd ball coloring.

7. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    both roos the sex link hen would be red the white are roos sorry

8. jasminty

jasminty Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2008
    CA
    Quote:LOL! Definitely denial!! And yes I vote for rooster muzzles! [​IMG]

Quote:Illia if not Ameraucana then what? It seems like their looks can have a pretty wide variation from what I've seen, and it looked like/hatched from a batch of Ameraucana - sent from the hatchery

The thing that baffles me the most is the Sex Link. Is it just not a sex link then? It looked like a girl as a chick (with cinnamon down the back, and was not all yellow like a boy would be) And now is still not all white!!!

Thanks Kassaundra. I love the coloring too, makes me even more sad to have to get rid of him [​IMG]

9. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    they are both EE not americana the other is a golden comet roo

10. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Illia if not Ameraucana then what? It seems like their looks can have a pretty wide variation from what I've seen, and it looked like/hatched from a batch of Ameraucana - sent from the hatchery

[​IMG]

from a hatchery? there is your problem

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by