1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mady

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mady, Dec 11, 2016.

1. mady

mady New Egg

Dec 10, 2016
    Hi there I'm a new chicken owner. I have seven chickens from a farm that had seven thousand chickens ! I bought seven , they were a year old in October. I have two issues, hopefully I can get help with. One is so small she is always picked on. I have separated her, she is doing well. When do you think I could put her back with the rest? Next problem I have one with a large bump on the bottom of her foot. She has a limp, and I also had to separate her, due to the fact they were picking on her also. They are all in the same coop. Just partitioned off.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi, Mady and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. You say that the sick / bullied chickens are partitioned in the coop - can they physically see the others? What is the size of your coop and ditto your run? Re: the chicken with the foot problem, I'd suggest both typing "bumble foot" in the search box, and comparing the photos you will see with your girl. If you do not find sufficient information, then please post a pic and give as much detail as you can on the ER forum - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

All the best
    CT

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. mady

mady New Egg

Dec 10, 2016
    The coop is 6 by 8 run is 10 by 10. Yes they can see each other. These chickens have never been outdoors only two have an interest in going out. It has gotten very cold here so I didn't open the door this morning plus we have snow. The little girl as I call her is doing well she looms like she has put on some weight. She is not laying yet. All others are laying. I get five to six eggs a day. I had three originally then we went back for four more. That is when I got one with the lump on the bottom of her foot and this little one. I did research the problem foot. I see different things. One said Lance it another said leave it. She is a good size girl and she is beautiful. I just feel bad that she limps.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Is this small chicken a bantam chicken? If so, it is hard to keep them with the larger standard sized breeds since they are so small. However in most flocks, it is very common for the lowest in the order to be picked on. I keep out several water and several feeding stations because even in my flock, they pick on my lowest order bird. In some flocks, the flock can actually starve out the lowest bird. And if they can't get enough to eat or drink they will suffer health issues and even die from starvation and such. So put out extras places to get sustenance.

Sounds like she has bumblefoot. You will need to do a surgery on her foot to get the pus ball out of there so she can heal. Here is an article on foot problems in poultry and there is a section on doing a bumblefoot surgery. Scroll down to the middle or so of the article to find this section.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/leg-foot-and-toe-issues-in-poultry-of-all-ages

Good luck with everything! It takes time to get into the chicken groove, and of course eventually your flock will have you trained up well! [​IMG]

Enjoy your poultry adventures! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. mady

mady New Egg

Dec 10, 2016
    Thank you so much ! I have added three more feeding and water dishes. They seem to get along better. She is not the small breed, she just has been pushed away from food . She now has her own roost and laying box and food and water. I sit with them a few times a day and talk and sing. I know crazy. They do respond and come to me now when I come into the coop. Thank you for the advice I have been reading up on the surgery. It looms like it will hurt her. I know I want her better. So I will read and research so I'm know what I'm doing. I'm a city girl gone country only about a month ago. My dream was always to have chickens I will take good care of my girls always.

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sounds like you are caring well for your birds! I sit with my birds all the time. I sit on the floor of the coop and they all climb on my lap from my belly to my ankles. LOL I talk and sing to them all the time, they know their names. They sure are spoiled rotten!

The thing about this infection in the pad is that if you don't get it out of there, it can go systemic and kill her. So you need to get it out. I have done these so many times on birds. And have found that digging out dead infected tissue doesn't cause too much pain. My birds never flinch unless I hit health flesh. There will be little if no blood at all. All you are going to do is remove the gunk. I know it is daunting at first, but if you get most of it out of there, only one surgery is needed and they heal up completely. Just follow the instructions and you will do just fine!

7. mady

mady New Egg

Dec 10, 2016
    I figured first I need to set up a clean environment . I set up a big tub in the garage to do this and give her a Little time to heal. I will put food and water. Thank you so much for everything. I will let you know how it goes. I do realize she will get very sick if I don't treat this. Have a wonderful day !

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Make sure to keep her foot bandaged up after a surgery. Keep it dry and bandage for at least 30 days or until the scab falls off. Without bandaging, it will get much worse. And if you separate her from the flock, she will be very hard to mix back into the flock. It would be in her best interest if you did your best to keep her in the flock, even if you have to keep her in a cage within the flock.

Good luck and keep us posted on how she is doing! :)

9. mady

mady New Egg

Dec 10, 2016
    Okay ! Thank you I have rigged up a way to separate them but they can see each other.I will put her back after we do this procedure. What should I do for bedding ? I am not sure if this the right thing to have. I started with shavings. A friend stopped by that has chickens and gave us Timothy hay. It keeps the coop Warner and I find the wet falls through and they are walking on dry surface I empty it about every three days . I clean poop almost everyday. It's easier now I'm finding because it's hard lol. So should I be using hay ? Should I put her in a dry area with no bedding just hay in the laying box ? I have bandages and will keep it wrapped. How often do you suggest I change the bandage ?

10. mady

mady New Egg

Dec 10, 2016
    I have now read the entire article plus more. Dry clean area . Change bandage every day. I love that I have some where to talk chickens. Waiting on some assistance. Will keep you posted.

Thank you
    Mady

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by