Magazine opinions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by littlelemon, Oct 27, 2007.

1. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    Hi Everyone,

My Dad gets me a magazine subscription every year for Christmas, and for the past two years I have received Hobby Farm. It is an interesting read, but not really relevant to my life. I do enjoy the copy of Hobby Farm Home that I picked up at the feed store, but those are not available by subscription.

I was thinking of Backyard Poultry or other poultry magazine or something like Countryside which is geared more towards simplicity and frugal-living and not so much about which ATV to buy.

Any suggestions on some good magazine reads?

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    now backyard poultry is a good magazine.alot of good reading in there. my sub to it has lapsed tho.so i havent read it in a good while.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

I just got my first backyard poultry and like it...now I want back issue!

4. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I love Backyard Poultry.

I used to get Countryside and let my subscription lapse. IMO, it really depends on how much you're into sustainable living. For me, it was a bit much. I enjoy being able to provide for myself to some extent, but I'm not into gathering wild plants to can for the winter or digging a root cellar in my backyard! [​IMG]

5. firechicken

firechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Covington, GA
    Backyard poultry, backwoods home magazine, mother earth news. I enjoy all of them.

6. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Practical Poultry and Country Smallholding are the two that I read. PP is geared much more towards the small scale chicken keeper, with either a small breeding flock or a few pet hens. It also sometimes has articles on things like getting rid of rodents, or which incubator to buy.

CS includes articles on poultry, sheep, goats, horses, pigs, cattle, alpacas, bees and gardening, as well as a cookery section and articles on things like tractors and dry stone walling. Overall, it's more geared to people with several acres, who work either full or part time on their farm(ette)

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Are any magazines better than this forum?

8. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Quote:NOPE! [​IMG]

9. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Try Mother Earth News and Grit too--I like both of those for recipes, animals, gardening....

10. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    I love backyard poultry been getting it since their first issue and a read it from front to back even if it is on poultry I can't have ie turkeys and duck. But now I want pigeons:) Luckily I really don't have a place for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by