maggot dispensers and chickens turning compost?!?!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BethanyS, Dec 13, 2012.

1. BethanyS

BethanyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    so in my search for minimizing feed cost I have come acrossed 2 things that seem a little iffy but a lot of people are doing it. 1 option is to feed maggots :-\ the easiest way I have seen was to hang a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in the bottom on a tripod and place inside meat scraps and other things covering it with hay. the theory is flies come and lay eggs the maggots fall out the holes and the chickens get free lunch. another is feeding and letting them turn compost which I actually read a article on this website about a man who has hundreds of chickens working the compost for his company. just wondered who all was doing this and who all was against it...all thought and impute are welcome :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. BethanyS

BethanyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    Nobudy?

3. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    I've seen maggots brought up quite often on this forum and the consensus is it's dangerous. Botchulism is the concern. I may not have spelled that right. :p So you can do it but you run the risk of killing all your chickens.

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Mealworms seem much safer and easier and less smelly. If you have extra meat scraps the chickens can just eat those directly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by