Maggots (BSF - Black Soldier Fly) Fed Chicken VS Grass Fed Chicken

han aj

Hatching
Apr 3, 2018
Is there any difference in terms of taste of the chicken? Because whatever that we feed the chicken will influence the taste of the chicken.
I really want to know which feed gives the best taste?

What chickens consume can impact flavor. A lot of what I think promotes good flavor is more directly associated with green plant matter and insects that directly consume the same materials. Black soldier fly larvae likely to vary with what you feed them.

Also, don't they need both the greens and the protein? Can't just feed them one or the other (at least they don't eat just one when they free range). I don't do BSF yet... but do have a hanging maggot bucket in each pen. Need to empty the one into the compost now - just bones and feathers... :)

Also, don't they need both the greens and the protein? Can't just feed them one or the other (at least they don't eat just one when they free range). I don't do BSF yet... but do have a hanging maggot bucket in each pen. Need to empty the one into the compost now - just bones and feathers... :)
You hit the nail on the head!

Chickens need a variety of things to meet their nutritional need. Feed ALL grass or ALL bugs and you will be off on something. Formulated ration is BEST in my opinion... with access to grass at your convenience and and homegrown bugs as a TREAT.

Good luck in your adventures! :wee

Back
Top Bottom