maggots/flies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by prettypiglett, Aug 30, 2010.

1. prettypiglett

prettypiglett Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    Norfolk, Uk
    Hi

My chicken had maggots on her rear end a few days ago, I cleaned and bathed her and got them all off (as far as I could tell), when I checked a day later there were none....two days later I found none then a day later there was one, a couple of days later there were loads again. I cleaned and bathed, a day later I found one. Today she has had flies hovering around her rear end,(it has been a warm day) so I looked and found loads of very tiny lava, I gave her such a good clean, she must have the best feathers in the UK!

I think I should mention she had been poorly with mites (she has now got over this) and has had runny poo (this is still happening), she also smells! I know its not sounding good but I am willing to wash her everyday if necessary, any ideas? I live in the UK so please think of this if suggesting items to buy as I am finding it hard to get anything here.
    We are even cosidering putting curtain net around the coop so it lets the light in but keeps the flies out for now....and maybe if we can keep her alive over the next few weeks the flies will get less as the weather turns colder?

Pleaseeeeeeeeee help.... I love my little chicken [​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Okay, not sure what all products you have available, but I'll try my best. The condition is called flystrike. You need to remove EVERY maggot. Thoroughly flush the wound with regular strength hydrogen peroxide--I'll check later to see if I can find the concentration as it may differ there. Keep flushing until nothing except clear peroxide come out. You will only do this one time, but it is very important. Here in the US we have ointments that contain an insecticide; one is marketed for dogs, the other for horses. Their names are FLYS OFF and SWAT. This is what I normally would recommend packing a flystrike wound with (one time only); not sure what you have available there, but anything similar should help. I also recommend treating the bird with ivermectin, which will also kill any maggots you do not get, or that hatch out later.

Leave the wound open to air, and flush with diluted povidone iodine daily until healed. You can also apply antibiotic ointment. Put her on a strong antibiotic such as Baytril. I suggest bringing her inside, away from all flies until she is healed. If you have a small dog crate, it should contain her nicely.

3. farmchick897

farmchick897 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    I know this sounds crazy, but pour Kerosene or diesel fuel on her. You can check out my injured goose story in the goose section, but I had big problems with maggots and tried everything. She will smell like that fuel for days but I found it did wonders to completely stop and kill all maggots and clean up any infection. My goose is doing great now and when I found her she was one step away from death. Good luck!

4. farmchick897

farmchick897 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    Oh, as a side note.. if you google kerosene antiseptic is has also been used as a hemorrhoids treatment and to ride of lice, so I don't think it would hurt that area of your chicken. [​IMG]

5. prettypiglett

May 30, 2010
    Norfolk, Uk
    Thank you, it has to be worth a try.....do you think the flies are there because of the runny poo on her feathers and thus attacking her? If so how can I stop this? It is going to be hard to keep her inside as I have a pet dog who hates my chickens!

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes, runny poo would attract flies. Thoroughly wash the soiled areas, and give grains to firm up the stools. Oatmeal and rice can be helpful. Add live culture, plain yogurt to the diet. A secure crate, and placing her above reach of the dog, or behind a closed door is a good solution.

7. prettypiglett

May 30, 2010
    Norfolk, Uk
    I have noticed she has gone off rice lately [​IMG] But she is eating pellets I will get some yoghurt for her, any other foods ? She is being quite picky at what she wants. Thanks for all the advice guys, i lost a chicken early on in the year (due to a prolapse) and would hate to loose another one!

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Try some hardboiled or scrambled egg; most birds like that [​IMG] Maybe some superworms or waxworms or crickets? Brewers yeast may also help firm the poop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by