Maggots for food

Eggscoozme

Songster
9 Years
Oct 25, 2014
Michigan
I raised some broilers last year, and had them vacuum sealed. Pulled them out this year, they are delicious!
The other day, I had thawed one out to cook. Something came up, so put it back in fridge. Didnt get to it for couple days, so put it back in freezer unsure if THAT was safe. This cycle of refrigeration, freezing, thawing continued past my comfort level, so I was about to toss it out. I dont like wasting food, and remembered a youtuber using spoiled meat to attract maggots, and then let the chickens eat the maggots......I decided to do that, BUT, I first put the chicken quarter in a set-off live trap. The idea behind putting it in a live trap is to not give the spoiled chicken away to coyotes, foxes, etc...(I pray to God, though we dont attract any bear.)
Anyone have an experience with this?
Any ideas/thoughts?

I keep dead carcasses a lot, even keeping them in live-traps or under pens normally used to house chickens. I do so to observe carrion related insects. without my own dogs or resident Opossum stealing my study. Free-range chickens have access to areas where maggots move about. I have yet to observe the chickens consume the maggots or beetles that consume the maggots.

I keep dead carcasses a lot, even keeping them in live-traps or under pens normally used to house chickens. I do so to observe carrion related insects. without my own dogs or resident Opossum stealing my study. Free-range chickens have access to areas where maggots move about. I have yet to observe the chickens consume the maggots or beetles that consume the maggots.
Justin Rhodes (sp?) has a youtube on it. He created a maggot dispenser. Ive seen chickens go crazy for maggots.
His youtube is May 19th, 2016 I believe.

What species of fly do the maggots represent? Those I deal with are dominated by some sort of blow fly. Results might differ is maggots move some distance from the carcass which they do not do with my setups. When I pull carcass remains up to expose pupae, the chickens also seem to avoid those as well.

What species of fly do the maggots represent? Those I deal with are dominated by some sort of blow fly. Results might differ is maggots move some distance from the carcass which they do not do with my setups. When I pull carcass remains up to expose pupae, the chickens also seem to avoid those as well.
Standard house fly type, I reckon.

I've been doing a "maggot dispenser" for some time now, chickens love 'em and no ill effects observed at all. I don't think maggots transmit anything they couldn't survive themselves if that were correct IMO .

In fact I had two this summer created a bunch of free chicken delights!

I've been doing a "maggot dispenser" for some time now, chickens love 'em and no ill effects observed at all. I don't think maggots transmit anything they couldn't survive themselves if that were correct IMO .

In fact I had two this summer created a bunch of free chicken delights!
Maggot species? Are maggots in midst of the putrid mass when consumed by the chickens? The details can be important as we try to understand differences in observations.

Back
Top Bottom