Maggots in poop?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by corinnep27, Aug 7, 2014.

1. corinnep27

corinnep27 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2014
    I have 5 in quarantine right now as they are new. They've been there for 4 weeks. Honestly their area is too small but it's the best we could do. I was cleaning out the coop today and scooped some poop and realized it was squirming... Vom. At first I freaked thinking it was worms. The more I thought about it I think it was maggots. There are tons of flies of course.

Is it typical to have maggots crawling in and out of fresh poop? I haven't ever really analyzed a maggot, but they were small rice sized maybe, and white with tiny legs. I want to be sick just thinking of it....

I'm New.....

2. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    I didn't know maggots had legs? I have never had maggots around my coop either! Maybe you should post this in emergency forum! ugg made my stomach churn just reading this! Good Luck!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, it is totally normal to have maggots in poop...I have started cleaning the roost board off more often to avoid that scenario.

4. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    I get maggots all the time. My brooders are raised with wire bottoms (outside) and I only scrape them out once a month or so. Normal. And the birds like to eat them, lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by