Maggots in protruding vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kandice, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Kandice

Kandice New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    My hen has been slowing down for some time, lately her vent has gotten dirtier and dirtier. Tonight I lifted her sagging tail feathers to find her vent protruding and as I tried to feel for an egg (wearing gloves) there were maggots crawling in there. What home remedies can I do for her. I can't imagine what that feels like... thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It sounds like she has a vent prolapse and fly strike from maggot infestation. You need to get her into a warm bath with one of the following added to water: weak betadine, hibiclens (clhorhexidene,) epsom salts, table salt, or dish soap. Soak her and try to get all of the maggots, even using tweezers, and after you dry her off, apply plain antibiotic ointment such as bacitracin. A permethrin spray or ointment such as SWAT can be used to kill any remaining maggots. The bath should be repeated as much as need to get all maggots. I've never dealt with both flystrike and a prolapse. The vent should be pushed back inside if possible, honey or hemorrhoid cream applied to reduce swelling, but I would get the maggot issue resolved. You may need to cull her if she seems too far gone or suffering. Please post pictures if possible.

3. hicksfamily

hicksfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

I second that. She should be fine once you clean it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by