maggots in the scratch

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nuchickontheblock, Sep 20, 2010.

1. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I went to get some scratch out of our covered bucket today and there were maggots crawling all over the inside of the lid. I washed them off, but then wondered if they would be ok for the chickens to eat. They totally love meal worms and whatever other insects they can get. Any reason not to give them to the girls? It is a brand new large container of scratch, so don't want to throw it away. [​IMG]

2. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Toss 'em to them! I typically get moth larvae in scatch (Which is probably what you're seeing) and my girls relish them.

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    chickens LOVE maggots [​IMG]

4. lacasitarojafarm

lacasitarojafarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Skagit Valley, WA
    Lucky you! TREATS! [​IMG]

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Now you have higher protein scratch. [​IMG]

I actually saw instructions the other day for building a maggot-breeding apparatus for feeding chickens. Neat way to get free protein, but yuck!

6. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Thanks for the encouragement! I guess depending on who you are, food is either yuck or YUMMMMMM!!![​IMG]

7. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    If they are moth larvae, I would say go for it, but I'm not sure I would use the scratch if it is maggots. Flys lay their eggs in rotting, moldy, damp, or spoiled areas, not in good dry scratch. I would toss the scratch or take it back to the store if it's new. The flock would love the maggots, though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by