Maggots On Vent!!!!( Graphic Image Stuck In My Head)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 44Wolves, Sep 26, 2010.

1. 44Wolves

44Wolves Here is Your New Title

Jun 28, 2009
    Mt EE Hen, the " Runt" out of a whole big bin, 100+ when I got her as a chick. Always inactive, and always had diharrea. She's know a year and a half old, And I can't be sure she's ever laid an egg. She is still inactive, and diharea makin' and it Sticks to her BUTT! So thats why once a month we clean her butt! Today was one of those days, and She was missig her big tail feathers! Then I lift her tail up, and right next to her vent(Butt) were MAGGOTS. Squirmy,Smelly,Disquisting. They Were eating her ALIVE. My Guess, It started out with the poop on her butt. I reaserched on BYC a bit, and came up with a Maggot-Removing Mixture. The "Tools" were: Hydrogen Peroxide, Wet Rag, Warm Water, Soap( AJAX or Dawn, preferalbly) and a hose. And Of course rubber gloves. I first Rinsed her butt with the hose. Then, I soaked my rag in the warm water and AJAX, and rubbed the maggots. Most fell of. So I rinsed again, and more came off. Then, I used a new rag, dipped it into the hydro. Perox. and dabbed it where the remaining maggots were. Then, there was a hole [​IMG] About 1 inch wide, centimeter deep. I let it dry, and later I found 2 more maggots, None have came again. I added Ointment on the hole. Now, I have her in a cage with Cracked corn, Food, Grit, and water. She is in my basement well away from my other hens. Should I give her anything speaaial??

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. valsey

valsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Dab some wound kote on that hole.

Does she sit in the same spot all the time? Like this was a 'bed sore' of sorts?

3. 44Wolves

Jun 28, 2009
    No, She never sat, But she also goes to bed earlier than reg, chickies

4. valsey

valsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Don't you think there must have been a wound or some sort of cut for the maggots to get started on her?

5. 44Wolves

Jun 28, 2009
    No, I think when she went to bed EARLY, A fly laid eggs on the poop stuck to her butt.

6. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I would keep an eye on that sore. You might need to do some daily cleanings on it---if you have betadine (iodine) you can add a squirt to a fresh plastic bottle of water to make tea colored fluid, and just rinse the area. You don't want to repetitively use hydrogen peroxide, as it may not allow the area to heal. I don't know what kind of ointment you used, but triple antibiotic or neosporin should work as long as it doesn't have any pain reliever in it. Watch her for signs of infection, and you might want to put a little apple cider vinegar (one tablespoon per gallon strength) in her water, and feed her a little plain yogurt or scrambled egg. those things will be gentle on her tummy, and might make a difference in the quality of her stools. I think that working on getting rid of the diarrhea would be critical to healing her bum. Good luck.

7. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Maggots only eat decaying/dead flesh and meat. (One of the reasons hospitals use sterilized maggots.)

I'm not sure of the persistent diarrhea, but you should search the threads for that cause first. If it doesn't stop, it is going to make her skin raw and sore, and invite maggots to "dinner". Give her a nice warm bath. If you find out the reason for her loose stools, post it back here. I'm curious what has been causing it. I hope she gets better...good luck.

8. 44Wolves

Jun 28, 2009
    Thanks! I'll give her yogurt( Are there prefered Flavors?)

9. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    I had this happen to one of my hens. She ended up being an internal layer & unfortunatley couldn't get out of her own way. I gave her a warm bath in a bucket with Dawn. I held her up and let her soak for a while. She actually fell asleep! I worked as much of them off as I could and eventually ended up cutting some of her feathers to make sure she was buggy free [​IMG]. She had the hole or soar you are describing next to her vent whole. After cleaning it I packed it with Neosporin & put some diaper rash ointment on some other spots that were a bit red and raw on her bottom. Keep her in dry and clean bedding and reapply antibiotic atleast once or twice a day.

Cheetah, unfortunatley ended up surcumbing to her fate and my husband had to do the deed [​IMG] But she wasn't going to get any better and we did the best we could.

10. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:Plain ( less sugars) You can mixed in some scrambled egg for more flavor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by