maggots or worms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jamband, Aug 17, 2011.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I dint have a pic because I have no camera......I was cleaning out the duck coop and noticed these very tiny little moving things about the size of rice. they were white, the biggest maybe 1/4 -3/8 inch long, with some much smaller. I am really hoping its maggots and not worms. I saw quite a few and they were moving so I am hoping they are just maggots....any thoughts or pics....they seem small for round worms from pics I have seen but cant find a good pic of cecal worm.

thanks

2. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    :)Sounds like maggots. We get them in the ground under our pens that are hanging on the wall of the workshop. The ground seems to move until you look closer and they start out about the size of a grain of rice.

3. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    anything to do? except keep bedding mixed and dry?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:If they were moving and continued to move thereafter for a long time, most likely they were maggots. Internal worms cant survive outside the host. Here's a link showing pics of large roundworms and cecal worms....size comparison: Post #8
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=402055

5. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    yeah, keep bedding clean and dry. mixing in some DE may help or spray down area with pyrethrin or another safe product to discourage bugs.

6. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    Quote:If they were moving and continued to move thereafter for a long time, most likely they were maggots. Internal worms cant survive outside the host. Here's a link showing pics of large roundworms and cecal worms....size comparison: Post #8
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=402055

yep maggots they kept moving......thanks all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by