Maggots!!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GreenChic, Jun 27, 2011.

1. GreenChic

GreenChic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    We had a big storm last week and I left the buckets of food outside and 1 got soaked. I put the top back on and put it in the shed and left for a family reunion for the weekend. A friend came and fed them for us but he used the food that wasn't soaked. I came back last night and woke up this morning to a maggot filled bucket of food. I need to get rid of it but what do i do spray it with the hose or pour bleach over it. They are crawling all over the edge I just want to get rid of it? From now on the buckets stay in the shed.

2. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Hmmmmm.......I would be very tempted to feed those spikes to the chickens. If you not inclined to do so them a mild bleach solution shouled work.

3. wayneh

wayneh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    N. E. Alabama
    I think the chicks just got some treats.

4. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    oooh healthy treats for the chicks.. shoot yea.. you know the maggots have been eating the good stuff. they should be super yummy for the chicks...

Pink

5. jimb

jimb New Egg

Jun 16, 2010
    Maggots or spikes--One of the best freshwater fish bait you can get.

6. GreenChic

GreenChic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    So the chickens can eat maggots. I can just scoop the food out and feed it to them. I'm sure they are fly maggots because the flies where swarming around them. Three of them are meat chickens and I thought I'm going to eat these do I want them eating maggots?

7. Vtchicks

Vtchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Rutland, VT
    Maggots will not hurt you or your birds. I am sure your birds will thank you for it.

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    My boys left a bowl of who knows what for who knows how long who knows where and when I found it this afternoon, it had become chicken food--spikes. The hens swooped in, flocking for a share . . . . Just another way to recycle.

9. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I had some maggots in my compost pile today. I scooped them out and put them in the run with the chickens. Man they went NUTS for them!

10. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Maggots growing on a clean source = great treats. Just be careful to check for signs of mold in the feed. When in doubt, throw it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by