Magic Jack and Netflix

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by greeneggsandham, Oct 18, 2011.

1. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    Does anyone use one or both of them? What do you think about them? I am getting sick of the high cost of things and need to cut back.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Netflix user here. Awesome stuff. We pay just the normal price for 3 movies at a time, and though our distributor is 5 hours away we still get our stuff just a couple days after we ask for it. [​IMG]

Also in the mean time, there's LOADS of Movies, Shows, and Documentaries and the likes that you can watch online for no extra fee. There's some pretty darn good shows there too, and very well updated seasons as well.

The price we pay for it all is well worth it. But sadly I hear rumors that Netflix is contemplating on charging people separately for the online usage vs delivered DVD's. Which is ridiculous, and I think it ties well into the fact that most other good or free deals are also going restricted. Such examples are Hulu - Getting less and less available to watch things there. [​IMG]

3. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Magic jack i have heard is great but i have never used it my self. Netflix i do have but i have the one you get instantly threw like an Xbox or something like that and its gets pretty annoying because most of the good movies i want to watch are DVD only so if you go that route sign up for the mail order DVD's as well.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I have netflix an love it. There are also lots of free options too. Hulu, crackle, revision3

I think the internet phone thing my brother has is a magic jack. It works good but he uses it mainly by setting it to a DC local number an forwarding it to his cell phone. His daughter is in the pen up there an it costs about $20 a call for her to call his cell but $1 or $2 for her to call that local number that still rings his cellphone. One call pays for the magic jack an they talk a lot.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I've used Netflix since they first started--used to take 5 days to get a DVD now it takes 24 hrs both ways. As the price has gone up I've finally cut down to 2 at a time plus downloads to my Wii. Never have had a problem. It is the one thing<knock on wood> the USPS seems to deliver on time.

ETA: I have had experiences with bad discs--some were cracked, wouldn't play or skipped--I notified them via email and had a replacement in 24 hrs. No questions asked, just return the damaged one.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Netflix for me. I don't have cable to cut costs, but Netflix coupled with youtube has always been more than adequate. Just a warning though, every so often Netflix does something that...annoys...their consumer base. The consumers complain. Netflix sends out an email that ticks everyone off, and then tries to make another change. The consumers rabble. Netflix apologizes and goes back to the way it was. Everyone is happy. It's a cycle. XD

My husband says Netflix is like a guy who doesn't understand why his girlfriend is upset. Just keeps digging the hole deeper.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  7. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I've experienced them all but there's also other free tv viewing like NowWatchTVLive.com. [​IMG]

8. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Library's usually have free movie rentals and you can get a bunch at one time for return in 7 days. I think our library has more movies than netflix.

9. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Netflix user here. We had satellite service and it became to expensive. They won't run cable down our road, not enough people/houses. At this point, I don't think I would get cable anyways. Satellite was about $70.00 a month, Netflix is about $9.99 a month. All I do is stream the movies.

10. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    This is great to hear. I am going to try both since they both are offereing a 30 day free trial. If they work I would be saving almost $1000 a year. Thank you all. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by