1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Magical Egg-Laying Hens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    You are not going to believe this - i don't. i have six Red Star hens in an enclosed coop and pen. Also have one EE in there who is just finishing a molt and has not started laying again.

i collect eggs every day - six big brown eggs every single day, rain or shine. i collected those six two days ago, i know i did. Then yesterday afternoon i go out and find TEN eggs. Well, i thought to myself, i must have missed some or forgotten them over the past few days. So i checked every nook and cranny in the six nest boxes and made sure those ten were it.

Then today i just went out and found EIGHT big brown eggs laid in plain sight in two of the nest boxes(?!?!?!?). How on earth is that possible? i am not making this up. i knew those Red Stars were egg-laying machines, but this is beyond belief.

Here is the booty from today (made a quiche from the ten i collected yesterday).

[​IMG]

Here are some of those rockin' Reds. i used to complain about how pushy they were, but not complaining now!

[​IMG]

2. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    WOW!! [​IMG] Congrats!

3. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    wow that is great. your ee lays what color eggs? brown?
    i wish i could get double out of mine.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I love my sexlinks too! Egg laying machines for sure!!! But I just wish they'd slow down a bit, since so many of them end up with reproductive issues in their 2nd and 3rd years of life.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Quote:Oh no, what type of reproductive issues? Just wondering what i should look out for.

Also, from what i've read, they only produce an egg every 26 hours. Is it possible for them to lay more often that that? i just don't know how this is happening.

"what was I thinking" - my EE lays green eggs, so she isn't contributing to this onslaught of eggs.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    WOW [​IMG] Thats amazing.... CONGRATS !!!

7. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Congratulations,[​IMG]

and Knock on wood, that is really ammaizing.

Omran.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My sexlink is my only layer. I [​IMG] that bird!!

9. crazy hen quartet

crazy hen quartet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Chandler AZ
    WOW! [​IMG]

Ok, you have to update us daily on your numbers!

10. scubagirl

scubagirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    Marysville, WA
    Thats excellent.

I watched one of my cochins the other day lay an egg, and then never get up to leave after about an hour I thought what is she doing going broody or something and I came close to her to offer some scratch she stood up hissing and out plopped a double yoker. Thats basically like laying 3 eggs in one day. Amazing what they can do sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by