Magical Egg-Laying Hens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Dec 26, 2008.

1. You are not going to believe this - i don't. i have six Red Star hens in an enclosed coop and pen. Also have one EE in there who is just finishing a molt and has not started laying again.

i collect eggs every day - six big brown eggs every single day, rain or shine. i collected those six two days ago, i know i did. Then yesterday afternoon i go out and find TEN eggs. Well, i thought to myself, i must have missed some or forgotten them over the past few days. So i checked every nook and cranny in the six nest boxes and made sure those ten were it.

Then today i just went out and found EIGHT big brown eggs laid in plain sight in two of the nest boxes(?!?!?!?). How on earth is that possible? i am not making this up. i knew those Red Stars were egg-laying machines, but this is beyond belief.

Here is the booty from today (made a quiche from the ten i collected yesterday).

[​IMG]

Here are some of those rockin' Reds. i used to complain about how pushy they were, but not complaining now!

[​IMG]

2. Catalina

Catalina Songster

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    WOW!! [​IMG] Congrats!

3. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    wow that is great. your ee lays what color eggs? brown?
    i wish i could get double out of mine.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

I love my sexlinks too! Egg laying machines for sure!!! But I just wish they'd slow down a bit, since so many of them end up with reproductive issues in their 2nd and 3rd years of life.

5. Quote:Oh no, what type of reproductive issues? Just wondering what i should look out for.

Also, from what i've read, they only produce an egg every 26 hours. Is it possible for them to lay more often that that? i just don't know how this is happening.

"what was I thinking" - my EE lays green eggs, so she isn't contributing to this onslaught of eggs.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    WOW [​IMG] Thats amazing.... CONGRATS !!!

7. Omran

Omran Songster

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Congratulations,[​IMG]

and Knock on wood, that is really ammaizing.

Omran.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My sexlink is my only layer. I [​IMG] that bird!!

9. crazy hen quartet

crazy hen quartet Songster

Dec 20, 2008
    Chandler AZ
    WOW! [​IMG]

Ok, you have to update us daily on your numbers!

10. scubagirl

scubagirl In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    Marysville, WA
    Thats excellent.

I watched one of my cochins the other day lay an egg, and then never get up to leave after about an hour I thought what is she doing going broody or something and I came close to her to offer some scratch she stood up hissing and out plopped a double yoker. Thats basically like laying 3 eggs in one day. Amazing what they can do sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: