Magician with question about performing with chickens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BradleyRobert, Apr 12, 2012.

1. BradleyRobert

BradleyRobert New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    Hi all -

I've been a professional performer and magician for years. I'm considering adding a chicken production to my act (my family and I have also wanted chickens as pets for years!).

Don't worry - the production box is roomy, safe and comfy. The safety, security and comfort of the chickens are my primary consideration!

My question is about timing. I perform a weekly show at 9:30 PM. The chicken would be produced shortly after I go on stage, and then (preferably) sit comfortably on the side of the stage for several minutes, until she is needed for a "mind reading" effect.

Will being awake/woken up this late stress the chicken? (There will be gentle training for a few months to work up to the issues of being on stage - noise, lights, etc.) I want my girl to be safe and comfortable, but also not sound asleep while I need her to work!

After the effects, she could either sit and relax on stage or I can move her backstage. She will then ride home after the show and be back in the coop around midnight.

I haven't gotten the chicken(s) yet because I want to make sure it's the right thing for them. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Bradley

2. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    If you built their coop without windows and used artificial light to change their day/night cycle it should be ok. Let them out in the run after their artificial night is over and put them back before real night starts.

Anybody else?

3. BradleyRobert

BradleyRobert New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    The show I'll be doing is only once a week - always at 9:30PM. I'm more interested in knowing whether the chicken will be awake and alert, or look unhappy/tired/asleep in front of the audience! She'll be in the light until just before the show, then in the dark box a few minutes, then under the stage lights for the rest of the show (half hour or so).

I would think she'd be able to handle this once a week deal (especially with the treats involved I plan on offering).

What do you all think?

4. ThatChick

ThatChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    New Jersey
    I've only had my chickens for a few weeks, and they're still babies, but I know in the middle of the night if I flick the light on in their brooder they're up and ready to party. I would think with treats also involved she would only be more willing. I have heard other people mention on here too that if they put a light on in the coop at night that their girls think it is daytime and become too active, so I really don't think you would have a problem.

Just my two cents. And if you want the chicken as a pet anyway, so why not try it and see. You already said you plan on what sounds like some good training and since I think you said you'll have multiple chickens then you should be able to train more than one and see who is the best performer. Sounds like fun to me [​IMG]

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by