Magnolia, TX Chicken Laws?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by TexasTay, Mar 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TexasTay

TexasTay In the Brooder

Mar 13, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    Hi! I’m new and I’ve looked all over online about chicken laws in Magnolia, Texas (northwest of Houston) and haven’t found a thing besides a link to this site! We are house hunting in Magnolia and I need to know the laws because the chickens are a must! Any idea what the rules are?

Thank you all for your help!

Raenh and KikisGirls like this.
  2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Raenh and sarcasm like this.
  3. sarcasm

sarcasm Chirping

Sep 23, 2016
    Conroe, TX
    Montgomery County doesn't have a whole lot of specific restrictions on chicken keeping.

Within the city of Magnolia itself, there are a few conditions for keeping chickens that don't seem too onerous as long as you're not right next to a food service or processing place: https://library.municode.com/search?stateId=43&clientId=13683&searchText=chicken&contentTypeId=CODES

The real tricky part as @KikisGirls mentioned will be any HOA that the property is subject to. You might want to consider limiting your property searching to non-HOA/unincorporated areas to avoid that problem entirely, otherwise you're going to have to scour every house's HOA's rules. And if chickens aren't mentioned you then basically hope they don't just add a new "no chickens" rule after you've lived there a while (or fight any that manage to get passed). But who knows, you might find a gem of an HOA with explicitly permissive chicken keeping rules (if you do, please let us know where - I know some people who would love that info).

Edit: I've never found a place to search for properties that had a handy "exclude places with HOAs" option, so one interesting trick for you (or whoever's looking for potential properties for you) is to explicitly look for the terms "unincorporated" or "horses" in the listings if you want to go that route.

4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    A lot of online real estate searches let you exclude HOAs... I think Zillow and Redfin both have a "no HOA" or "no HOA fee" (which is likely then no HOA) checkbox you can click. Otherwise, your real estate agent can easily check for you if a house has HOAs attached, as that has to be disclosed as part of your purchase anyhow.

5. Raenh

Raenh Crowing

Jul 29, 2017
    Tomball, Texas
    I'm in tomball. Magnolia City, doesn't have HOA as they dont have subdivisions in the city. Outskirts there are some subdivisions, I just remembered driving past them and that they were in Montgomery County.

And it is pretty much so long as you keep them contained and they dont become a public nuisance, running in the streets, ect...
    I'm not sure if they have a limit though, Tomball has a limit of 10, but you should check for any deed restrictions on poultry to be safe. I keep having to go, nope not that one while I was looking for property, finally found a place though with no restrictions that I'm able to afford.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  6. Raenh

Raenh Crowing

Jul 29, 2017
    Tomball, Texas
  7. happybooker1

happybooker1 Songster

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    Moved out of a Magnolia subdivision last April just
    Because of stupid HOA laws against chickens.

Most subdivision HOAs are found on the internet with phone numbers. Any that you’re interested in — call them up and ASK. Or just look for unincorporated areas. Me? I wouldn’t live under an HOA again!! Most likely, if it’s a subdivision with a name & dues— it’s anti-poultry. Some you are allowed HORSES! — but no chickens!!

Raenh likes this.
  8. TexasTay

TexasTay In the Brooder

Mar 13, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    I'm posting a follow up for others who search for Magnolia, TX subdivision/neighborhood info!

Was delighted to discover Indigo Ranch in Magnolia, TX POA rules say chickens are allowed for 4-H club and learned that many residents have chickens (no 4-H club affiliation) and are not at all harassed by the POA so long as the coop is painted, clean, well-maintained, and not highly visible from the street. (Read: not an ugly eyesore) A single rooster with a crow collar has been quietly kept around here so long as they always have a crow collar on. Otherwise you do get in trouble for roosters and people have had to get rid of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: