Magpie? Ancona? what else could she be?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bogielousa, Jun 17, 2011.

1. bogielousa

bogielousa Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    The Swamp
    This little duckling is my favorite, and after reading about peeps and quacks on this site this morning, I'm guessing female because I picked everybody up today and she definitely QUACKED, where most everybody else peeped (I think I have alot of males [​IMG] )

Anyway, a very curious little gal, and looks at me with the most interested little stare, has always done so, from day one. She's a bit on the laid back side, and is always the last one to jump in the pool. But she'll cuddle with you and just sit in your lap, and when I put her down on the ground she'll stick around. The rest run to escape as soon as the think they can reach the ground, lol. I'd love to get another one just like her, but...the question is what is she??

I picked my ducklings out of a mixed batch at the local feed store and they really couldn't tell me what I was getting [​IMG]

so...what's your best guess?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

because of the grass they like to stay in being so long I don't have a good picture of her feet, but they're mostly black with some small orangey/pink spots

2. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    She's really pretty.

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    She could be a sweed, I think there are blacks as well as blue. The white bib makes me think that. if a magpie or ancona she is poorly marked.

4. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I dont think she is a Ancona. I have never known one to have a green bill. A black one yes but not green. It could be a mix, in that case that would explain the poor coloring. She is beautiful though. [​IMG]

5. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    I got a feed store Black Swedish that looks similar to yours. A lot of feed store ducks don't really look exactly like their breed should, so sometimes it is hard to tell. Yours also looks exactly like the markings on Pekin/Swedish mix duckling.

Here's my feed store black Swedish:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    She is exceptionally pretty.

It's possible that she is a black Swedish. Some of the hatchery Swedish are really poorly marked. All of them seem to have misshapen mottled splotchy bibs. I've got one from a hatchery that is crested with half the crest black and half the crest white. Really not show quality at all. Also I've got hatchery quality Swedish with white stripes on their faces.

They are represented as purebreds. Are they really purebreds? I doubt it. But they are nice ducks and good pets and quite pretty.

7. aduckstolemyheart

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:Exactly, mine is poorly marked, and was marketed as a pure Swedish. And my drake (pics in post above) has that same black and white crest. Sounds like ours could be twins. lol I think you're spot on with the OP's duck being a Swede like ours.

8. bogielousa

bogielousa Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    The Swamp
    ok so can a swedish have a greenish tint on the black? I'm looking at these pics again and it doesn't really show the green, but she's got a bit of a green sheen, sorta like my Cayuga's color, to her wings and maybe starting to pop out around her head as well(though only certain light shows that.)

or should we just call her a mix? lol...not that it matters much she'll still be my fave [​IMG]

9. aduckstolemyheart

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Yep, my drake has a LOT of green sheen, and even a blueish purple on his wings. I'm not sure if you can tell in the pics above I posted, but they show his green better than other pics I have. For some reaon the green sheen is really hard to see in pics. A lot of people say the same thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by