Magpie Duck Recreation in Australia

Quacking Pigeon

Crowing
Mar 12, 2018
NSW, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
A current project of mine and many others in Australia is to recreate the Welsh light duck breed known as the Magpie. Unfortunately, it is unknown whether Magpies were ever imported in Australia, and with current rules and regulations in place for biosecurity it is too expensive to import breeds from overseas. Due to Magpie Duck Genetics, they are able to be recreated with breeds that we have available like Indian runners, Campebells and so on.

Last year I had the opportunity to get some fertile eggs posted from a Magpie breeder in Tasmania up to NSW. From one dozen I hatched out 3 Magpies, 1 undermarked Black, 1 undermarked Chocolate and 1 better marked chocolate. These would become my breeding stock for this season, also including other crosses with helpful genetics.

B3B3AD46-8A30-4203-9E4D-E7C68CA20C80.jpeg

Magpie ducklings with Mallards and Australian Calls in 2020.

From the ducklings I hatched from the eggs from Tasmania, it resulted in the better marked bird being a drake, and two undermarked ducks. The Drake is chocolate, and is my favourite of the three.
059CD74A-41A8-44B6-BBE7-85DF90C8E560.jpeg

Chocolate Magpie Project Drake showing fading on his back from sunlight exposure.

I have set up 4 breeding groups of ducks to use for the project. And my season has begun early, already hatching ducklings. From what I have learned, producing a well marked Magpie is few and far between, and that is proving a challenge with them along with the Birds incorrect genetics.

I aim to produce Magpies in a variety of colours including black, chocolate, blue, splash, lilac (blue chocolate), lavender (splash chocolate) and light chocolate (buff chocolate) bred to type to the Australian Poultry Standards. I will keep this thread updated annually on my progress and any major achievements or issues faced along way of developing the breed.

How have you found it working on them? So far I’ve only really been hatching undermarked ducklings. This is a better drakeling I’ve hatched so far, he’s still poor on the markings though.
The markings are really hard to get right. Since they are patches on white, the patches are dominant over the background, which makes it a really easy to get ducks with too much color on them. The key is to hatch lots of ducks, then keep the best marked ones, and repeat until you have good markings in your flock. One year I kept a drake with large patches and lots of small spots on him, and the next generation of ducklings back tracked a little bit on the markings.

This is one of my better marked chocolates:
1625886678736.png

One of my main problems is the mantle coming down to far, around the sides of the belly. This trait comes from one of my original ducks named Jemima. (below)
1625886907244.png

This was one of my well marked drakelings I was really excited about, but unfortunately a racoon got him before he was full grown. Sorry I don't have a better pic of him.

1625888109571.png

Last edited:
So excited to see how this turns out! Breeding magpies is my duck project too, I hatched out my first chocolates a couple years back, and am currently working on blue.
How have you found it working on them? So far I’ve only really been hatching undermarked ducklings. This is a better drakeling I’ve hatched so far, he’s still poor on the markings though.
7ECCAA76-998F-41BC-B369-D6599F3DA6C7.jpeg

The markings are really hard to get right. Since they are patches on white, the patches are dominant over the background, which makes it a really easy to get ducks with too much color on them. The key is to hatch lots of ducks, then keep the best marked ones, and repeat until you have good markings in your flock. One year I kept a drake with large patches and lots of small spots on him, and the next generation of ducklings back tracked a little bit on the markings.

This is one of my better marked chocolates:
View attachment 2753879

One of my main problems is the mantle coming down to far, around the sides of the belly. This trait comes from one of my original ducks named Jemima. (below)
View attachment 2753888

This was one of my well marked drakelings I was really excited about, but unfortunately a racoon got him before he was full grown. Sorry I don't have a better pic of him.

View attachment 2753904

I also have issues with the black running too far down on my birds. Seems like they really want to be darker than they're supposed to be.

Here's a pick of my flock.

Attachments

• 20211029_083127.jpg
    20211029_083127.jpg
    1,005.4 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom