Magpie ducks.. Gave me my very first duck egg :)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WeeNicole, Jan 18, 2015.

1. WeeNicole

WeeNicole Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Yay. Got very excited yesterday to find our first duck egg here at the funny farm. Short lived as one of our wee pigs broke it, she was forgiven seeing as she is a new mother to ten piglets.... Plus she ate it.

BUT went out this morning to another egg INTACT lol. They're overdue originally supposed to start lay in November.

Question is, is it the heat lamp in with the mini piggies making them lay this time of the year?

Or is all ok.

I wouldn't like to mess up there natural lay, but need to keep the oinkers warm.

:D

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My Runners and Buffs don't read the guidelines, so we get the occasional egg this time of year. Actually their first year, my Runners laid for 14 months straight. Or was it 16? Anyway, all through the winter, spring, and following summer. Took a couple months off, and started again.

3. WeeNicole

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Gosh bet u where pleased!

Went out to two this morning, one blue one off white :D

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Congrats on the eggs!

5. yarnchick

yarnchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2013
    Congrats to you. I got woke up early this morning to a lot of racket. Duck hut is close by bedroom. My 6 runners were all eggcited. One of my 6mos old Blues laid her first egg. I had noticed yesterday while they were in ditch water they were acting up a bit. Told husband it was getting close to egg time. I have 12 chicken hens and 6 runner hens. 2 gave us eggs last summer. At home we cook them together. Spring and summer are a comin.

6. WeeNicole

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Aww. We'll today I went out to three.. That's them all laying now. They also think the mini piglets are there babies haha they sit on them when mama pigs out lol

7. yarnchick

yarnchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2013
    This morning I had 2 blue eggs. They have enjoyed the 5 days of warmth and sun. So have i.

8. WeeNicole

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Lucky you yarn chick I'm in Ireland it's freezing.... Brr

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That made me laugh about the ducks thinking the piglets are their babies, we need some pics of that. and congrats on the eggs.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    freezing here too, I probably won't see any ducks egg for another month but my chickens have finally started back laying after a couple months off. At least we're getting fresh eggs again, boy did I miss them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by