1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Magpie Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by riverhillmicrofarm, Nov 16, 2011.

1. riverhillmicrofarm

riverhillmicrofarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Does anyone raise Magpies, I have a drake and two ducks. I have questions regarding breeding.Thanks

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    There are a few members on here that keep magpies- maybe posting the actual questions you have will bring them out to answer.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I've got magpies, though they are actually currently for sale. No idea whether I can answer them but... what are your questions?

1 person likes this.
  4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    They are still very rare in the US. Not many people own them anymore.

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Except for their neat markings they have nothing to recommend them over other breeds, and I have been told that breeding them to maintain the ideal magpie pattern is a little hard.

6. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I have a hen and a drake and have been doing a little reading on breeding since I am considering breeding them as well. Haven't gotten much response to posts on BYC on the subject.

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I had a couple of Stanbridge Whites for a short while. That's a solid white Magpie. They are nice ducks.

Getting the perfect color pattern for show isn't guaranteed when you breed them, but that is true of other breeds that have requirements for their markings.

What is the question? Someone will be able to answer it.

8. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Quote:Actually, magpies are strong egg layers and a small, calm bird that is nevertheless large enough to be multi-purpose. The markings are their most distinctive quality though, and they are hard to breed for--the only breeder I know who reliably turns out great markings is Holderread.

9. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Actually, magpies are strong egg layers and a small, calm bird that is nevertheless large enough to be multi-purpose. The markings are their most distinctive quality though, and they are hard to breed for--the only breeder I know who reliably turns out great markings is Holderread.

i thought you sold your magpies?....and dont worry... i will be right over [​IMG]

10. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    lol! Yeah, I thought they were sold but the folks found a flock of anconas at the last minute and decided to go that route instead. I had a hard time choosing between anconas and magpies myself, so I understand the draw!

I have one very good application in on them at this time, but it is not a done deal. She has not decided for sure whether she wants them, but I've given her right of first refusal should I receive other good applications while she's still making up her mind.

I would be delighted to receive applications from BYCers... they're listed in the auction section. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by