Magpie ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mnovak, Sep 24, 2012.

1. mnovak

mnovak New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    My magpie duck pair have laid another 14 fertilized eggs. I lost all her babies last spring that hatched because she laid them in the chicken coop and I did not recover the ducklings in time for something to get to them. This time she laid them out by my deck. It frosted last night and she has been sitting on them for about 6 days now. If I move them into the barn will she sit on them? I believe I have a broody hen that I could possibly put some under. Or should I break down and purchase an incubator that will turn the eggs? Also, I am not sure that they are going to go back to the barn this winter........should I purchase a dog house with a door for them to sleep in at night or shew them into the barn and keep them there once winter hits? and still what to do with the eggs?!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. You can try to move her and it may work out. However, in that case some ducks will just quit sitting. I personally would have a incubator on hand just in case it doesn't go well with the move. I would herd them back into the barn. I don't feel dog houses are as secure for some of the bigger predators.

3. mnovak

mnovak New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    I may have a problem getting her off of the eggs to even move them inside the barn. How cold can it get outside for them, eggs and mom, to be alright? If I can't get her to move I may try to at least put a make shift shelter around her for the next 20 odd days and then move her into the barn and the ducklings, thinking positive, into the garage with a heat lamp. I am just worried about the colder weather setting in....it got down to 38 degrees here last night with light frost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by