Magpie Ducks!

Finny

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
I am getting some magpie ducklings in two weeks and I just want to know some more about them. If any one has them do they make good pets? I would love to see some pictures too! They looked very pretty when I was looking them up

since this is a magpie thread, do ya'll think mine are magpies? Other than the tan colored one! Lol. If not magpie, then what breed?

This is what a magpie duck looks like (a back top of the head, and black top of the back and almost a black ring going around their rear)
Anconas are white with random splotches of black. Your ducks look like magpies

Thank you! That's what I've thought since they got their feathers in and I could look up pics of duck breeds to compare them with. But these are my first go w ducks and i wasn't sure. They started laying in December and haven't quit through single digit temps! Earned my respect! These are laying medium size white eggs. And their mama hatched out a clutch of 24 ducklings. I've been reading that the good egg layer breeds don't set their eggs normally. I'd also read that the magpies were pretty rare, which is why I was having a hard time believing that I'd come across some on a poor farm in backwoods Arkansas. :)

I have read the same thing. It took me FOREVER to find a farm that sold them sexed. I could only get boys because I already have an all drake flock of four and my parents would not let me get more than two more ducks.

Back
Top Bottom