magpie ducks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JulieJo1216, Mar 9, 2015.

1. JulieJo1216

JulieJo1216 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2014
    I have two female magpie ducks. They are 3 almost 4 weeks old, Maggie and puddles. We are working on the coop for them but for now they got to stay in their plastic tub inside the house under the light. During the day I put then in a pen outside in the back yard so they can enjoy the sun and a swim. My question is can I leave the water and food out of their plastic tub at night until morning? They just make such a mess with the water all over like a swamp and of course they poop more too. And the area is not that big for them. I would so much appreciate all your feed back. I'm very new at the Duck raising. I'm mastering the chicken raising now thanks to all of you on this sight :)

2. kaylabeans28

kaylabeans28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodstock, IL
    What we are doing is putting their feed and water up on bricks so it's taller and they can only get there head and beak in, and they don't make such a big mess like leaving down in the shavings or the floor of the brooder.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I been told ducks are much messier than chickens especially since they are more dramatic poo-ers and they are always splashing around in water. That's their nature, and why they really can't be cooped with chickens. Chickens will not do well being on wet shavings and splashed upon.

4. kaylabeans28

kaylabeans28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodstock, IL
    Exactly! Also, the more they're allowed to swim the less they'll play in their water i guess. Ducks, well any waterfowl are just hard to keep dry and clean 24/7!

5. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I like their names!

1 person likes this.
  10. AnotherKim

AnotherKim Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2012
    I just bought three magpie ducklings today. My 3 y/'o grandson insisted on naming on Zoe, so we have Zoe, Chloe, and Finn. I'm hoping I vent sexed them right and got all hens. I was following a You-tube video, and it wasn't as easy as the girl made it look. Anyway, I set my brooder up in an unused shower, so it will be easier to clean. The girls are about 4-5 days old. My chickens were brooded in an old Pack and Play, but my last ducks were so messy that I thought the shower would work better. I can't wait to see my husband's face when he walks in the bathroom, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by