Magpie she is not.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hennyhandler, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    When I got my ducks I did some looking to tell what they were. Well, I knew the one was a Pekin but the other one was white with black spots on the head and a big spot of black on the back and under the wings. SO I figured she was a Magpie. As time went on and she grew up the spots on her head spread out and one or two black feathers started to show up right in front of her wing near the chest.
    In pictures of Magpies at the base of their tails the end of their wings kinda cross over and are white so they stand out against the black of their backs (or at least that is what it looks like to me and she has this.) The problem is she is quite small compared to the pictures of magpies in my opinion and also she has spots on her head, not a cap lile many Magpies have. Now I know this can just be the coloring and such but really makes me think she is not one is the fact that a Magpie is supposed to lay blue/green eggs. She just started to lay and they are a soft chalky white. What do ya'll think?

I wish I had a picture but I don't. I may be able to get one later.

2. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    sounds pretty!

3. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Many Magpies have a rather spotted cap on the head. Supposedly it can be difficult to get the solid cap and even markings. Here is my first pair. The duck had a very spotted head as you can see, but most of the ducklings from this pair came out very nicely marked anyway. I guess it's hard to see how spotted her head is in this picture, but she's the one drinking water, you can definitely tell it wasn't a solid cap (in fact, it was mostly white).

Oh, and my Magpie laid white eggs, so I think your egg color is okay. It made it nice, because I could always tell her eggs from the Runner's eggs which are a greenish blue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    Compared to a normal male Pekin are yours the same size, larger or smaller? I don't know if you have any Pekins or not but if you could estimate that would be great. As I stated earlier, I have a Pekin and she is just so small compared to him and in pictures of Magpies they always look so much bigger. Even yours look larger than she is. Now that may just be the picture or something but it makes me curious. Thanks for all the help though. I really appreciate it. I am sure she is a magpie.

5. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    might be Annaconna

6. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Quote:I haven't had Pekins, but my Magpies seem fairly big (though they are supposed to be a light weight duck?). They are definitely heavier than my Runners tho'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by