1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Magpie survived Coon attack but barely eating - advice please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by donnavee, Oct 11, 2011.

1. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Sunday night a predator, probably a coon, managed to get into the big duck pen and killed the Magpie drake. The female Magpie has a nasty gash on the back of her neck so we cleaned up the wound, applied neosporin and isloted her all day Monday. The female Blue Swedish was not harmed so I let her stay with the call ducks. So, the Magpie ate a few peas and meal worms last night and this morning, she drinks and even laid an egg this morning but I can't get her to eat anything else. She seemed so lonely and sad that I put her buddy, the Swedish in with her today and she did seem to perk up some. I am worried about her not eating though and just don't know what else to do for her. She also doesn't seem to care as much for the water with vitamins and electrolytes in it - maybe she doesn't like the taste.

Any ideas on what I should do? They are in a different enclosure now - where we are sure nothing can get to them.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Wow, this is tough. You have done very well by her so far. She's been traumatized, and it's difficult to help them feel secure again after something like that.

Having her in a different place is good, and with a buddy is good, too. If she's drinking plain water that helps quite a bit. Can you have the vitamins/electrolytes in a separate container? Then if it is the taste, she'll still get enough water.

Though I have not done it myself, there is something called gavage - force-feeding. Not a first choice, but you may want to research what would be involved with that. I can't say it's necessarily a good idea, but you don't want her to waste away. On the other hand, avoiding further trauma is important.

Give her as quiet and pleasant an environment as you can, offer treats as well as regular feed, and see how she does. Keep flies off her wound, you may need to give her antibiotics based on the risk of infection - so watch her closely.

Do you have a vet, vet tech, or waterfowl rehabilitator who can coach you?

3. donnavee

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I am offering her plain water as well as the vitamin, she seems to like the water with the Braggs vinegar in it so that is something. I have some antibiotics and was thinking of starting them tomorrow. We have the wound covered with a loose sort of neck scarf so it isn't exposed. The force feeding does sound like a last resort so I'll keep offering peas and maybe a little wet food tomorrow. She actually wagged her tail and nuzzled the other duck when I put her in today so maybe she just needs more time. I'm sure she also misses the drake since they were very close. There is a vet we can go to as a last resort as well. I took another duck to him for a foot problem sometime back and he charged almost $200 just to squeeze some puss out and put some ointment on it. I'm thinking of trying some greens with the peas tomorrow since she has always loved those too.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Your doing a great job, so sorry she lost her mate, that has to be hard plus the trauma she went through. Shock is hard on them but sounds like she is coming around. Might think about getting some Vetericyn they have it at TSC, it is for the treatment of wounds and infection. it comes in a spray. Please keep us updated on how she is doing and we'll be thinking about you all. [​IMG]

5. donnavee

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Thanks, I'm off to TSC in the morning. She is such a friendly girl, we will do our best to take care of her.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I know you will, all the best.

7. donnavee

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Just wanted to update:

Got the Vetericyn at TSC and started using it on the back of Topper's neck twice a day as well as keeping the wound clean and bandaged. She has been gradually acting more like her old self and eating lots of peas, greens and meal worms and a little of her regular food. I don't know if the Vetericyn is a miracle healer or what, but when we took the bandage off today, her neck looks almost healed - DH and I are both impressed. We are still treating the wound area, but it looks like she is well on the road to recovery.[​IMG]

Thanks for all the advice!

8. hossfeathers

hossfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    Quote:Nope, it's the peas, not the Vetericyn. [​IMG]

So glad to hear that she's doing better!

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

[​IMG] So happy to hear she is doing so good. Keep up the great work!!! [​IMG]

10. donnavee

May 7, 2009
    Central NC

Well darn, the peas are a lot cheaper. [​IMG] Whatever it was - she is doing great and will continue to get lots of peas. She came out this morning with the other ducks and has been having a great time playing like a little kid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by