Mahonri...Dental ?? for you

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bkreugar, Nov 13, 2009.

1. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Mahonri I want to ask your oppinion as a dentist. I have 2 kids 11 yr old girl and 6 yr ld boy. I left our dentist in June in Disgust! We had gone since dd was 5 and we had moved to this house. It is supposedly a "family dentist".

Had several issues before finally just leaving.I had enough issues to make me think it MIGHT be me...MAYBE

We do have insurance which covers 2 cleanings a year and 50% off care up to 1500.00 EACH.

So DD has had a few cavities from time to time and the husband of the man/wife team has done those WITHOUT a shot "because they were so small" DD was CRYING after so I decided I would ONLY use the wife as she had smaller hands and the guy told my DD "it is no big deal you are being a baby" I heard cuz I was there!!!

So DD goes to wife for a while and things are okay.Not great but better. One of her fillings falls out a year after it is done and and I get charged for it all over again. As if he had never done it. Is that par for the course?

Then Ds starts going at 5.They complain he is not still.Last year he has a cavity that needs filling so I take him and they TOLD ME at the beginning I was NOT allowed back with him. I think they were going to manhandle him as they might have thought he was worse cuz I was there.But it was his first ever cavity and when he is done Wife tells me ... I am not sure how long that will stay in as we did not get good adhesion he was moving around too much" I say so if it falls out?? she says come back in and we will try again but you might try a pediatric dentist as he is not still enough.

I KNEW right then I was NOT coming back because if you are a "family dentist" but can't handle him why would I bring my other child to you but take him to the pediatric dentist?So now I am looking for another one and am a bit afraid. It HAS to be a gentle touch.Where we moved from had a FABULOUS guy. Did a root canal/post/crown and Got me OVER my dental fears but he is now retired.

SO I really want to know is this a ME being cheap,picky or does that seem a bit like more trouble than one should have?

2. HennyPennies2007

HennyPennies2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Dentists scare me to death....this is exactly why....[​IMG]

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    So DD has had a few cavities from time to time and the husband of the man/wife team has done those WITHOUT a shot "because they were so small" DD was CRYING after so I decided I would ONLY use the wife as she had smaller hands and the guy told my DD "it is no big deal you are being a baby" I heard cuz I was there!!!

I would've left then. I'm allergic to novacaine, I've had cavities done with no shot, but I'm a 30 yr old woman not a small child. There's a lack of compassion and people skills there.

4. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Yes Saddina that was my thinking but what got me even MORE was his "Oh don't cry and be a baby"!!! That was just uncalled for. I THINK Mahonri may say if they are just a surface cavity there is no nerve involved. But I do not KNOW that.

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:You feel the vibrations of the drill on your teeth. It's not pain per se, but it's uncomfortable.

6. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

That dentist obviously has no patience with children. They should be an adult dentist. There are plenty of dentists out there that are good, hopefully you will find the right one. My dentist's office is a family practice and I like them very much. They do send little kids to a pediatric dentist though, because they feel little ones should go to someone who specializes in them. They will do the cleaning, just not cavities. I have no problem with that, because it ends up being less stressful for my son. If a doctor or dentist ever told my kids to stop being a baby or told me I couldn't go back with them, I would leave and never go back. I would also like to tell them off, but as Auntie Em said in Wizard of Oz. For years I have wanted to tell you how I feel about you, but being a Christian woman I can't! (she said something along those lines). So I would just tell them they have no business treating children and I will take my business elsewhere.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    He would not have been permitted to drill MY cavity, let alone my child's, without numbing it first. Ever. I have never had a dentist even suggest this, and I have moved enough that I have seen several different dentists over the years.

8. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Something I told my mother years ago when she was uncomfortable and unhappy with how a doctor treated her and how he failed to make himself clear in explaining things. Doctors work for YOU. You hire them, you pay them for services, if you are uncomfortable in any way, fire him. ...ok, don't march up and hand him a pink slip, just go looking for one that is a better fit.

9. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I would have left too! Sounds like that dentist isn't doing as good a job as he should. DH had a similar dentist...put in a temporary cap AS a permanent cap....among several other problems. DH ended up going to an other dentist (with a great reputation) and we spend HUNDREDS (with insurance!) for the new dentist to repair the mess that the previous dentist caused. The previous dentist did such a crummy job that DH had bone loss around the temporary capped tooth. The new dentist was MAD at the poor quality. I am curious to hearing Mahonri's opinion of your situation as he knows what should really be happening!

10. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:Have you looked into the new laser dental drilling? That is what my dentist uses. It is a laser with cool water oppose to drilling. No Novocaine and very little discomfort. I'd give you his name, but I doubt you'd want to drive an hour for a dentist! [​IMG] But, I am sure there is one in your area!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by