Maidencreek Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by zrossk, Dec 23, 2011.

1. zrossk

zrossk Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    Are chickens allowed in Maidencreek Pennsylvania?

2. ipie68

ipie68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
  3. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

are both of you on the east side of Pa? Never heard of either of those places on the west side of Pa.

4. ipie68

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    Im on the west side of PA

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Fascinating link.
    Wonder how the farmers in Maidencreek Twp pick up the manure and dispose of it every 24 hours.
    zroosk, I'd say there are likely quite a few chickens in your area. Just keep them on your property and don't try to start a race track:)

6. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:the north part?

7. ipie68

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    North of DuBois, PA, and south of St. Marys, PA, I live in Penfield, right in the heart of it.

8. ipie68

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    im going to make one last post because this is getting off topic, go to google maps go to the intersection of PA 255 and PA 153, follow 255 south un till you see about 7 trailers i live just to the right of that

9. Malissa

Malissa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Funny I should find a local person on here with similar issues! I live 5 miles outside of Fleetwood in Rockland Township. We are rural and have just over 1 acre of land. We are not in an organized subdivision or development and have no deed restrictions. I emailed the township and was sent a copy of afew pages of the ordinances that pertain to LIVESTOCK and POULTRY. According to Rockland, one must have over 3 acres to have 1000 lbs of livestock (that's ALOT of chickens, by the way!)....ok, fine. But i don't want 50 chickens, I only want a hand full. So she refers me to LTL in Oley, who is the contractor who enforces codes for our township. I call the guy. He tells me he has to take the ordinances at black and white value, which is we cannot have chickens because we don't have 3 acres. OK...so I say, how comes cities and towns all over the country allow afew chickens for personal egg consumption, but I live in a rural location surrounded by farms and fields, yet I cannot? He said he realized Rockland Township is behind the times. I said, well, can I go to a meeting to see if this can be changed? He said it costs the township money to change the ordinances. Hmmmmm. Then he says. We don't patrol Rockland Township looking for violations. The only way we would know you have them is if your neighbors complained. Then he continued to say that there are plenty of neighborhoods than cannot get along without animals even being involved. Well, my neighbor's are Mennonite...so not only will they not care, they will probably get them as well and at least help us care for ours when we go away! So....in our case....I think it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission....if you know what I mean! I'm not sure where you are in Maidencreek, but pulling this off in a new home development might not be the smartest unless you keep your coop incognito and make super friends with your neighbors. [​IMG] If you are rural like us....I say just go for it! We are now researching coop designs and trying to figure out what we will do come spring! My kids are super excited!

Malissa

10. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    And these are the reasons I'm glad my house is zoned ag!

[​IMG] to both of you!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by