Mail Carriers RANT!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Ema, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    our mail people are rude and could care less. No word of a lie I replace my mail box once a year because somehow, they managed to break it. I have lived here 6 years now, I complained to their supervisor the first time they broke my mailbox, it was custom made to look like a small barn in the same colours and shape as my house. It was winter, and I was sitting at my desk in front of the window when they pulled up I watched the mail girl yank the door right off and throw it off into the snowbank. I immediately called her supervisor and I was yelled at and called names, So I called canada post. they replaced my mailbox, and nothing happened to the delivery woman. after the third complaint I decided I was simply getting nowhere, and I still have to deal with them. On the forth year after they ripped my door off again, they had the gull to stop sending my mail and sent me a letter stating that until my mailbox was in good repair they would not mail anything out. so I replaced my mailbox again.

Now my mailbox has a door half hanging because they once again ripped it off its hinges. (this happened a few days ago btw)

Now I will explain where the animosity comes from...when I first moved here I used to get a lot of parcels off ebay. I had three parcels go missing, one government check, and legal papers from my lawyer. I called canada post and they sent out an unmarked tracked envelope and one of the mail people who had worked there for nearly 10 years was caught and fired. Since then I have had nothing but issues, I can't even buy stamps at the post office in my village I have to drive to the next town in order to send out mail or buy stamps. Though they are real nice to my DH, but I think its because they are scared of him.

I am at my wits end with them!! So I went out today, bought a video camera, and Dh is going to repair the mailbox, for now on we will be waiting for them to show up and we are going to video tape them, (don't ask why I haven't thought of this before) I usually work in the morning. and mail arrives by no later then 1130am I hope Dh remembers and catches them.

I hate to take this route, but I think once its done both the driver and the passenger mail carriers will be out of a job, and if I am lucky their supervisor too. Because I am going to call her the minute its caught on camera and I am going to record what she says to me and then I am going to send it all out to the main office!!

Its not my fault their friend got fired because she was a thief!!

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] Jeez, why do they have a NEED to be abusive to the mail box????? Does it open and close easily???? If not, spray some oil in the hinges and anchor that mailbox to post very good.

Yep, you did good by putting a camera out there, even a dummy camera sitting nearby in full view of the mailman would make him think twice. Stick a note on the outside of post "Smile, you are on camera".

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Maybe you complained once too many times & your name is "Mudd" at the P.O.? [​IMG] Don't know, but it sounds like you need a Fort Knox mailbox! [​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I'm thinking the original theft was more of a ring than an individual...

If a US Mail person was caught stealing mail, they would get prison time--it is a felony here. Years ago we had a very elderly mail carrier; the person who lived catty corner across the street was also a mail carrier, and when mail was routinely not delivered until late evening (after 6pm), she complained. They found that he was so slow in making his routes that some days he would take mail home to deliver the following day. He was forced into retirement, and there were some penalties (don't recall--too long ago). He however, never had the intent to STEAL or keep the mail, just did not follow proper delivery procedures. If he had not been so elderly with so much time invested, he would have been fired.

5. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    the door opens fine, we made sure of that, because we had thought the same thing at first. Its a deliberate act on their behalf. Its usually the woman that yanks (well really rips) it off. I know I wrote yanked, as in if they are pullign too hard, but no what I meant was they literally try and succeed at ripping it off, I have seen her do it. I have replaced my custom made one to a cheapy because of them. (I live on a rural road so they drive, they do not get out of their vehicles) they even went as far as complaining (2.5 yrs after it was installed) that my mailbox was not far enough out at the end of the driveway, so we moved it out as requested. That winter the town called me and told me my mailbox was too far out and the plow operator had complained. so we had to move it back as requested by the town. I am sure they both got a good laugh out of it when they saw it was moved back again. I know they hate me. And I am not a big fan of them either.

I stopped complaining because I was getting nowhere and they simply made things up. so I figured ya it is likely they view me a as a nuisance instead of someone who actually is telling the truth. The woman lives directly across my best friends house, and they are good friends too. This past summer while having a BBQ at my best friends house she shot me the finger. My BFF just laughed, she knows the whole story but she will not take sides which is fine with me cause I would never ask her too. My village is super tiny like 400 people in it. There are no secrets in this tiny place. I sometimes wish that instead of just outside Hearst I had moved inside it...but I like having a big farm and living out here with the exception of the daily mail issue...lol....

the only thing I can do is wait and see what happens from here on, but I will not be cutting them any breaks. When I them they will lose their jobs, No one should have to deal with something like that. Mind you I am not the only one dealing with an issue like this. Another family that moved up here from down south as well is having similar issues, and my one neighbour is constantly complaining that he keeps finding his mail in the ditch next to his mailbox.

they have gotten away with behaving badly for so long they simply think they are untouchable!!

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    They wont be untouchable for long....the camera is watching them!

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I suggest that everyone who is having problems needs to install a game or surveillance camera pointed toward the mailbox, and personally, I believe the cameras should be hidden. At this point, they need to be caught and suffer the consequences of their acts, not just detered.

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Do y'all have the same mailman they had in the movie "Funny Farm"? [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    mr. birdaholic :

Do y'all have the same mailman they had in the movie "Funny Farm"? [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Is the current mailbox, the same one that looks like your house? If so, I'd say, you are doing something wrong, installing the door. You may have to get a heavier hinge, or use a piano hinge, which cannot be twisted, or have one built with 1/8" plate steel.
    As to the stuff getting stolen, and then, retribution against you, it sounds much like the recent mess in NYC over the snow removal...The group becomes a power unto itself,and doesn't see or hear anything, which causes harm to the whole.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by