Mail Order Chick Suggestions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by e72071, Jan 1, 2017.

1. e72071

e72071 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    We are getting ready to order our first set of baby chicks ever. I've found a couple places online but I'm looking for suggestions on reputable mail order poultry places so we get healthy chicks. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings! Here's a link to some hatcheries: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries
    For what it's worth, the large hatcheries...Murrary McMurray, Ideal Poultry, Meyer, Stromberg's, Cackle, and others are reckoned reputable. I have ordered from all of them at one time or another and have had good results. Baby chicks are amazingly resident through the mail. A word of advice: let your local post office know to expect them and to call you the moment they arrive. I've even driven to the larger post office a few towns over (the hub for my PO) just to get my birds a day earlier. Anyway, whatever you decide, good luck to and your new chicks. Also, stop by the New Member Introduction Forum and say hello so we can give you a proper BYC welcome!!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/44/new-member-introductions

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! I second everything redsoxs said. My last mail order chicks came from Cackle, all in very good shape. Your state thread might be helpful, in case someone close to you also wants chicks, and to a combined order. I usually combine an order with a friend or two; better prices per chick, and kinda fun too. Make sure that your brooder and coop are ready before the chicks arrive! Mary

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have ordered multiple times from My Pet Chicken over the past few years, the chicks are healthy and correctly sexed, and customer service is great and their website is easy to use.

5. yellowherb

yellowherb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Florida
    I've only ordered from Ideal. both times chicks were 100% arrive alive. But the best thing about Ideal is the very low shipping :) Best prices on chicks and on shipping in most cases.

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Order from a hatchery closest to you. Look at where the chicks are coming from and choose the shortest. Hatcheries will toss in extra birds (males) to get rid of the excess and say it's to ensure warmth in numbers. If you don't want any males make sure to tell them specifically not to add them. Many posts on what to do with cockerels and it can be avoided by telling them not to do it when placing the order.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by