Mail order eggs for hatching...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bluemonster107, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    question ... once you order eggs for hatching and they have arrived... do you just pop them in the incubator immediately? Or do you let them rest? Or any steps that are needed to know?? Thanks!

2. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    You let them rest so the air sacs can settle. I believe it's pointy end up? You'll want to double-check that. But I know you put the eggs in a certain position, somewhere relatively warm, for about 24 hours, and then you put them in.

Also, get your incubator set up BEFORE the eggs come in. Make sure its temp and humidity and whatnot are stable.

CayugaJana, Chick-N-Fun and 007Sean like this.
  3. Keeperofmunchkins

Keeperofmunchkins Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    It's round end up, in a cool, draught and damp free area. Keep them for 24 hours to settle the contents - in reality disconnected air cells rarely reconnect. I usually candle before putting them in the incubator because any with wonky or 'saddle' air cells benefit from being incubated round end up, and any with multiple rolling air bubbles or cracks will not be viable. If the eggs are very dirty you might want to gently wipe off the dirt but don't scrub them.

Chick-N-Fun and Bluemonster107 like this.
  4. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    Hmmm... maybe it would make a difference also that I specify this is for coturnix quail eggs... shipping from KC Quail farm to California and a small batch of 16. First timer so not sure if that info matters‍♀️

CayugaJana and CoturnixComplex like this.
  5. CoturnixComplex

CoturnixComplex Crowing

Nov 16, 2018
    KC is great! Many successful hatches from them by members on here!

Definitely rest them big/round end up, for about 24 hrs. You want the air sac to settle in that end permanently.

6. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    Thanks! Super helpful!!

CayugaJana and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  7. el dorado quail

el dorado quail Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Ooo another Californian getting into quail congrats!

8. ManitobaQuail

ManitobaQuail Chirping

Aug 28, 2018
    Canada
    Has anyone compare resting vs not resting shipped eggs? We've only purchased shipped eggs twice (first time ordered 360, second time 180), took 2 days to get here from out of province, we popped them straight into the incubator and the hatching rates' been fantastic! (similar to hatching our own eggs, at around 85%).

Just curious about the experiment/research anyone's done :)

9. CoturnixComplex

CoturnixComplex Crowing

Nov 16, 2018
    I've not noticed a difference, in that my incubators are cheap, my attention span is short, my climate is dry and my hatching rate is middlingly successful no matter what. :oops: But it doesn't feel like bad practice unless the eggs are on the older side or have already gotten warm enough to start incubating.

I'm pretty sure @007Sean paid more scientific attention to that once upon a time, and also didn't find much of a difference.

10. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Located in South Texas, I usually put the eggs into the incubator when they arrive. The reason being, in the heat we have here in the spring, more than likely the eggs have already started developing. Sometimes I have let them rest in the bator with the turner off and sometimes I just put them in without even resting them....depended on the condition of the eggs when they arrived.
    I haven't noticed any difference in hatchibility or viability of the eggs as far as letting them settle.
    I have had great hatches from doing it either way. With shipped eggs it really depends on the 'freshness' of the eggs when they arrive, whether or not you have a great hatch or a so so hatch.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: