1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mail order eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FreeRange Drulie, Nov 11, 2009.

1. FreeRange Drulie

FreeRange Drulie Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Okay we just ordered our first mail ordered eggs. and I'm nervous
    We got 12 Salmon Faverolles from McCullum Farms website.

What has been people success rates and is there anything I should watch out for.
    Should I make sure that they are not delivered to my house.(hold them at the post office?)

Just any advice. I am anxious and need comforting [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've had everything from 0 out of 18 to 11 out of 13. It all depends on how well they're wrapped and how the post office treats them between the seller's house and your's. Shipped eggs are a gamble. I usually have them held at the PO and go into town to pick them up.

3. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I usually get 50% on shipped eggs. Depends on whether the PO decides to scramble them or not for me.
    Ask the seller to write on the box "DO NOT XRAY" as that might help too
    They often send extras incase some break. (breaking eggs = messy)

I have them delivered to my home and I tell my carrier they are coming and what they are. I've had good luck.
    I think it is in the loading to the aircraft that they get shook up, not from the PO to your door. The carriers are usually pretty careful.
    Good luck!

4. peeppeeppeep

peeppeeppeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Shasta County
    I bought some from TX. 8 blue marans and 8 black copper marans. Every blue marans egg hatched while not one of the black copper marans eggs even pipped. I opened one today and there was a chick inside but dead (2 days past hatch date). Everyone does say black copper marans are hard to hatch...and to be fair, not all the eggs from my own hens hatched either.

The main thing they tell you is to let the eggs rest big end up for a day before setting them in the bator. Good luck.

5. Hollis dollis

Hollis dollis Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    upstate NY
    I just received eggs in the mail. Four of six are broken. The other two are not but are covered in goo. Should I wash them and try? Or just call it a total loss?

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How were they packed? I think I'd try to file a postal damages claim if they were packed well.

7. Hollis dollis

Sep 23, 2015
    upstate NY
    They were packaged well. The box looks like it went through war.[​IMG]

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would file a damage claim for replacement.

9. Hollis dollis

Sep 23, 2015
    upstate NY
    Do I do that, or the seller?

10. Sarafena1982

Sarafena1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2013
    Brookfield, Ohio
    you file it Hollis. I've had to do it before and got my refund within 2wks[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by