Mail Ordering Birds...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by the_great_snag, Apr 24, 2009.

1. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Hello everyone,

I am also a frequent contributor to a firearms message board, and part of the nature of that board is we deal with a great many "troll" accounts who lurk on that message board looking for "ammunition" to use against the firearms community when it comes to second amendment issues.

Now I do not want to turn this into a debate on gun rights, as this is a board that is concerned with baby poultry.

I just worry that some of us may be inadvertantly be doing the same thing to this community by giving "ammunition" to the animal rights folks who would like to see our ability to buy chicks by mail order taken away from us.

This is a horribly busy time of year for the hatcheries, and we will all see a lot of posts about dead chicks, delayed shipments, etc.

I think it's important to keep in perspective that these businesses are performing herculean feats of management and scheduling in order to ensure that the vast majority of their animals arrive safe and sound at their destinations. Anytime you ship any kind of livestock you will have losses. Even with cattle and swine you will usually see a few dead animals at the end of a stressful trip.

EDIT: We also should bear in mind that the postal service does NOT want to ship baby chicks. They are required to by law. If anything, I think more of our ire should be directed towards the lack of concern given some chick shipments by the postal service. Indeed, if the animal rights folks were truly concerned about the chicks' welfare, they should join us in insisting that the postal service do everything possible to expedite shipments and enforce safe handling practices. I have to admit the stories about lost shipments and upside-down boxes anger me to no end... EDIT OFF

So anyway, let's hear a few more stories about the chicks that arrive happy and healthy and give credit to the hatcheries that keep our hobby strong and diverse by allowing us to buy such an amazing variety of birds from all over the country.

ok... rant off... thanks!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You make several very good points. Another recent thread discussed some of these issues; it was about a delayed shipment, but included several stories of successful shipments. I made the same point there about some inevitable losses, and problems often being with the PO rather than the hatcheries. In my lone experience, the problem was with the dumb buyer who had chicks shipped in winter!

Did not realize the PO had been forced by law to ship chicks. Personal opinion: that is a positive thing. I find public disinterest in interference with personal/constitutional rights to be a truly frightening thing.

People are going to share negative experiences, of course. I did so, partly in hope that others might reconsider having chicks shipped from the northern US in winter.

Livestock is going to be shipped, by some method, whether the PO is required to participate or not. Too much commercial need for that to be stopped, I would think. Hopefully the long term outcome will address appropriate handling during shipment. I agree, of course, that upside down and lost boxes of chicks is quite upsetting, even if it is relatively rare.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2009
  3. deerhunterblp

deerhunterblp Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Batesville, Arkansas
    Most of the Animal Rights people seem like cookoos to me. We have people losing their jobs and houses everyday . Kids who don't eat enough and they are worried about saving animal. What a sad thing America has come to.

4. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    Quote:See, THAT kind of attitude is why there is so much concern for the welfare of animals. Why would you think that the fact that humans are suffering means that we shouldn't have any regard for animal suffering?

The best hunters and the best livestock owners have respect for their animals and ensure that they do not participate in the suffering of animals and give them a humane and quick death. Why do we have to choose between that and being concerned for human suffering?

5. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Quote:I agree!![​IMG] I was wondering about neg. aspects reading our posts. Maybe even copy them. Use them against the trade. If you have issues maybe go to live chat where you have to be reg. to read or even be there. You brought up a good point.[​IMG] Also all the neg. talk about hatchery chicks. Thats all I have owned and have been happy with them. My cochins are beautiful and long lived.[​IMG]

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I think more people should be more "proactive" when ordering their chicks.

I have a couple suggestions that I find very helpful and have always gotten my chicks in one day.

#1 Try to order from a hatchery that is nearest to you.

#2 Always pay for express shipping, there is a tracking number and 9 times out of 10 you can locate the shipment.

#3 Call the postal "distribution" center in your area to see if you can pick your birds up there when they arrive no matter what time it is. These centers are usually open 24/7. This is not your local post office. Lot's of times your chicks will arrive at the distribution center 10 minutes after the truck to your post office leaves and will have to sit and wait til the next day unless you go pick them up.

I have read some threads where the person just sits and waits for the chicks to show up, only making calls to their local post office. Dig deeper and make more calls and really search for them.

7. the_great_snag

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Quote:See, THAT kind of attitude is why there is so much concern for the welfare of animals. Why would you think that the fact that humans are suffering means that we shouldn't have any regard for animal suffering?

The best hunters and the best livestock owners have respect for their animals and ensure that they do not participate in the suffering of animals and give them a humane and quick death. Why do we have to choose between that and being concerned for human suffering?

I actually agree with both of you. I think the animal rights movement is about 99% cookoo, but I think it's part of our responsibilities as good stewards of the land to care for animals and treat them well, especially the ones we eat.

I despise wanton killing for the sake of killing or abuse of innocent animals.

8. the_great_snag

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Quote:I would never want to discourage people from reporting negative experiences. I think most people know that 99% of the time only unhappy customers will say anything about their experiences.

It's very valuable to know about others' experiences so we can
    learn from them.

The shipping of chicks via mail and the airlines (USPS contract carriers) was a big issue a few years back. The poultry industry, and the hatcheries in particular, spent millions lobbying congress to protect our right to ship live animals by mail.

UPS and FEDEX will not touch a live animal shipment.

I agree with you 500% on the complacency in this country in regards to civil/constitutional rights, but that's probably a discussion for another forum. [​IMG]

9. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Do the other carriers not accept life birds? UPS, fedex and such?

The postal service wants any business it can get, chicks are shipped at a good price and they make money off of it. The postal service is currently a billion dollars short every year, with that debt rising. Theyre actually cutting hours, but local mail volumes in some areas remain the same, meaning that while there is a lag in the amount of shipping and mailing done most employees are doing more than their share of the work... anyway, I think my point is that maybe a lot could be avoided by using other carriers.

Animal rights activists and those darn chumps at PETA will pick at whatever they want to pick at, they dont NEED ammunition, they simply have more money and thus more weight, to do whatever they WANT to do when it comes to barking and moaning.

10. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Even with the best of care chicks die shipped or not,and whos to say that people who transport chicks in there own vehicals (like to shows swaps sales ect ect)do it in a nice way.Trust me I have seen em transported by thier owners cramed in boxes or exsposed to the elements in the back of a truck.....
    My chicks have allways come alive and well from the post office,maby the post office should work on transporting them in a safer manner...
    Its like saying no one can drive cause of all the people who drink and drive or no one can have kids anymore cause they might get abused or killed by thier own parents.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by