1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mailing chicks across country

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by cuntrybumkin, Mar 15, 2013.

1. cuntrybumkin

cuntrybumkin New Egg

Mar 8, 2012
    Junction City, Oregon
    We hatch our own chicks but buy Lohmann Brown chicks from a local hatchery and sell them locally to backyard farmers. They seem to be hard to get around the country and we've had requested to buy from the hatcery and mail them to various places. The hatchery doesn't sell small amounts to individuals just large quantities to commercial egg farms. We would like to accomodate backyarders in other states but are unsure about the best way to mail them. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I would love to hear from those who have experience in mailing day old chicks.

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    First of all make sure you have all the proper NPIP paperwork to ship chicks across state lines.

As for the care of the chicks, we only ship April through July and September and October to avoid any of the temperature pit falls that can occur when shipping chicks such as extreme cold or hot weather. It is good to have at least 15 chicks for body warmth, but if you do smaller amounts there are 72 hour heat packs for animals you can send with them if needed. Even though chicks thrive on the egg yolk they consume before hatching for around 72 hours, we also buy and mix Gro Gel and leave some in the box. This provides a lot of extra nutrients and keeps the chicks hydrated. I have heard others use certain kinds of fruit and crushed boiled eggs to send along for the trip. It is also good to have the straw mats or something similar in the chick box as this prevents the chicks from sliding on cardboard and hurting their legs.

3. cuntrybumkin

cuntrybumkin New Egg

Mar 8, 2012
    Junction City, Oregon
    Thanks for your response with great info. Where can I find more information on the NPIP forms and do you have a good source for Grow Gel, shipping boxes, and straw mats?

4. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
  5. cuntrybumkin

cuntrybumkin New Egg

Mar 8, 2012
    Junction City, Oregon
    That's perfect!!! Thanks so much. I was already looking at boxes from Meyer so glad to know some else agrees.

6. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by