Maine-- Aroostook County/ Houlton Area

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by NurseNettie, Feb 13, 2008.

1. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Looking to find contacts in this area. We're relocating and want to find local connections for chicks, supplies, etc.
    Thanks!

2. wife2abirdman

wife2abirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Houlton Maine
    My Coop
    Do you live in town I live in town. I'm sort of new here too both in Houlton and this forum. My family just moved here last June. We had a farm and had chickens but couldn't keep them because I called code enforcement and they said no chickens in town. But my brother said that chickens are allowed. Do you know what the code is? I just want to be able to have my blue cochins!

3. NurseNettie

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I live south of Houlton, so I'm not sure of the code there. I'm sure the town clerk's office can help you out, or go to Aroostook Milling Company and ask them--- they had a chick order in April , so I'm sure they know the codes!
    So glad to see that there's someone in the area!! I just moved here 3/7 and it's all new to me! PM me anytime if you'd like!

4. wife2abirdman

May 4, 2008
    Houlton Maine
    My Coop
    No problem thank you. You'll definitly love it up here! the people are so nice and so helpful! When I go down to Southern Me just to visit family I really miss it up here! People aren't (pardon the pun!) running around like chickens with their head cut off! This winter I had a couple of people asking me if I needed help just shoveling the snow!(IT WAS ONLY 2 INCHES!)

5. wife2abirdman

May 4, 2008
    Houlton Maine
    My Coop
    I called the town office they said no chickens in town! That really bites!

6. NurseNettie

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Oh no!!!! Time to move!!! LOL.. Or buy a summer place out of town where you can keep them!!! I've got eggs in the bator now, and if they don't hatch (not sure... the P.O. was very tough on this batch-- it was superbly packed but they managed to destroy 6 out of 15 eggs!) I'm going to look for some locally. My town clerk raises them, and will sell chicks or eggs to me, and Aroostook Milling is getting their order in the 15th and 16th, so I plan to call to see if they have extras and pick a few up if they do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by