Maine chickenstock - Skowhegan

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by wildernessdweller, Jul 30, 2008.

1. wildernessdweller

wildernessdweller Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    burnham, maine
    I've been contacted by someone who attended the Litchfield chickenstock- he wants to plan one for skowhegan, using the Tractor Supply parking lot.

a) anyone interested?
    b) time frame? end of month? next month? next year?

IMO end of month is too soon, but that's what he's wanting to do.

IMO it should be run alongside another event, or at least in the same town as another event so we can get more foot traffic.

I think using a fairgrounds type location is better than a parking lot- there will be bathrooms and water available for large groups. tractor supply has one small bathroom available for men, and one for women.

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Bump for information on show

3. wildernessdweller

Jul 9, 2008
    burnham, maine
    I'm sorry but I have no idea what that comment means??? can you explain???

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Skowhegan has a fairground, I know that much. [​IMG]

I agree with having it at a fairground rather then a TSC parking lot because
    A. I can bring my kid more easily and
    B. Parking lots are hot.

I don't mind the end of the month.

Does anyone here live in Skow-town or next town over? I'm 1 hr 45 min away or so.

5. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    I'm closer - 30 min - work up there during the school year. The TSC there has some lawn off to one side of the parking lot (I think if I remember right). Not sure what is going on other than the Skowhegan state fair is over the next couple of weeks. I think they will get a different group of people in Skowhegan than Litchfield. I would probably go as I am close just to see.

Louella

6. wildernessdweller

Jul 9, 2008
    burnham, maine
    It's too late to include it as part of skowhegan fair, I'm pretty sure........

but if you join the club -- Positively Poultry -- you can then show your birds and have sale birds there (they gotta be tested. They have to be entered in the show by August 5th. I have entry forms if you want them. The show is Sunday August 10 at the Skowhegan Fairgrounds. Positively Poultry handles the show at Skowhegan, Clinton, and New Portland. $6 a year to join.

If you get your birds tested once a year, it's good at ALL the fairs and ALL the poultry club shows for a solid year. birds have to be 5 months old. 10% of each breed has to be tested. so if you have 10 rhode island red breeders, you only need to take 1 bird to be tested.

The point I'm trying to get at here peeps, is this-- you have the opportunity to have a 'chickenstock' type event at every single fair in the state if you do just a lil bit of home work......pay your membership fees, get your birds tested, and enter one or two birds in the show.....even if they don't win.......you can still sell your birds. and you can do tailgate sales at a show if (and only if) you are a member.

Each club has slightly different rules about tailgate sales i.e. some require you to rent pens from them, usually $1 each....once you sell the bird(s) in it you can replace the bird(s) with others so on and so on through out the event. others you provide your own sale cages. no charges.

At the Farmington Fairgrounds this Sunday starting at 9am there is a basket show with testing of your poultry being done on site. the fee for testing is usually around $10 a flock. New England Bird Fanciers Club is hosting this event. You can JOIN the club while there.

it's far easier and cheaper to ride in on someone else's coat tails then to completely do an event from the ground up. however, if you want to have an actual Chickenstock event- I think it needs to be only once or twice a year with lots of planning- location location location. timed to co-incide with another event or two in the same town or even the same location so you get more foot traffic.

with the price of gas the way it is, the more things we can have in one location, the more fun and $$ everyone gets to make.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  7. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I was told and believe I mentioned it to everyone that we could be included in the Farmington, Maine NNEPFC. If all else fails, use my name (Kellie from BYC) and the secretary will know my name, should. I'll be looking forward to hearing how it goes.
    [​IMG]

8. burntumber

burntumber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Speaking of the Skow Fair, if anyone wants an application to enter their birds in the poultry show, email me and I'd be happy to send it to you.

(Or you can go to the Skowhegan Country Fair website and click on the PDF link Fair Premiums Book at the top of the home page.)

It costs $1 / bird to enter. Like Wildnerness Dweller mentioned, you must have NPIP certified birds. The deadline to enter is 8/3. Premiums aren't spectacular (ranging from $2-$30 for Best In Show) but it's just a hoot to be involved with the fair. (This is my first year showing my chickens, but I've entered vegetables, art, and flowers and whatnot in past years- it's addictive!) Carroll says they still have cages available when I spoke with her several days ago.

Look for my goof-ball Showgirls there! [​IMG]

P.S. I'd also be happy to forward information on entering other exhibits, too, if anyone's itching to show off their amazing tomatoes or knitted mittens or whatever!

Please email me at [email protected]
    If you use the email link above, it will go to an old Yahoo account that's just bombarded with spam mail and I may miss your email.

9. burntumber

burntumber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Quote:To "bump" a thread just means you're sending it to the top of the list of threads so people will check in. [​IMG]

10. wildernessdweller

Jul 9, 2008
    burnham, maine
    ooohhh! thanks!

so an event at Tractor Supply Parking lot in Skowhegan is still pending......he's trying to get vendors to sponsor the event. do you usually get sponsors for a chickenstock?

I think he's trying to make it a monthly event. is this good or bad I wonder?

if you do it monthly,
    a) do you have it in the same spot month after month?
    b) does it become 'boring' ?
    c) do you make it like a farmers market type thing? or do you go more for a flea market event that includes more people/vendors??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by