Maine Coons

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jennh, Sep 3, 2011.

1. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Does anyone on here raise Maine Coons, or have one?

I had rescued two kittens from CL last Sept 13th after having to put my precious Athena to sleep. This guy was going to "throw them away!!! [​IMG] Lucky me! [​IMG] [​IMG]

They were a year old in July, and are littermates, both females. They both have long toe tufts, ear tufts, long, soft belly fur, big fluffy tails, and they are both developing manes. They both play fetch, are very vocal, and are super affectionate.

I am posting pics from when they were kittens up to now. Do you think they might be part Maine Coon? Any opinions are welcome!

[​IMG]
    The day I brought them home, starving and COVERED with fleas
    [​IMG]
    Approx two weeks later
    [​IMG]
    see how they form a heart? Approx 3 mos old
    [​IMG]
    Venus 1 yr old
    [​IMG]
    Sheba 1 yr old

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  2. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Aww, I love the breed. I have a cat that's half Main Coon and he is huge. Saber is such a sweetheart. I'd post a pic of him, but I can't find the USB cord to my camera.

3. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I've only saw a Maine Coon a couple of times on TV, so not really familiar with them. Are they large in size? They look similar to the ones that I've saw on TV.

Those sure are sweeties! I want to come over and love on them! [​IMG]

4. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Quote:All the ones I've seen have been huge. I've never come across mean Maine Coon in my life. [​IMG]

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Yours are adorable! [​IMG]
    we have two that are brothers from the same litter... they are Maine Coon/ Bengal mix
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If anything ever happens to these guys we'll have to get another Maine Coon... they are amazing cats.. the only one who rivals them is our Savannah cat!

6. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:Please post pics of your Savannah!

7. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Seems to be part main coon. It seems to be a prominant gene. They are really neat cats. We would go to a parts store and they had a main coon only about 30 pounds but he would sit in a wheel and not move, even when you touched him. Very cool cat.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

The light colored one is a Maine Coon, they come in many shades. I believe yours have several traits that lead me to say yes, at a minimum MC mixes.

[​IMG]

9. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    We had a barn cat that had a feral boy friend that must of been MC. She had a few kittens over the years that sound like what you described. The last one was born the night my mom past away. He weighed 26lbs. He was my 2lbs yorkie's chew toy. He looks fat in the pix but he wasn't he was VERY fluffy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    Here's ours. His name is Shadow.
    (He's on the left, stretched out all over the table)

[​IMG]

Here's another

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by