Maintaining rooster peace

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by buffbeauty, Aug 25, 2010.

1. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Hi all. Designing new run and need some advice. Remodeling old shed and building run to house/hold 3 separate flocks. The coop will be made of an old shed I'm taking apart to the frame and refinishing the outside. Now, what my question is if I separate the coop and run into the 3 sections with chicken wire will my roos fight through the wire? The are bantam faverolles and orps so generally docile breeds. What is y'alls opinion?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    they should be fine i have a free range flock with like 20 roosters and havent had a fight yet from my 15 pound barred rock to my oegb that is under a pound

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote: Yes.
    ETA, When I was doing my breeding program with four "coops" in a 24- X 12-foot area in the barn, I always had to put up a piece of tarp over the wire above their eye level so that they couldn't see each other; otherwise, fighting was how they spent their day, 24/7.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  4. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    they "fight" through the fence, but no one gets hurt (not around here anyway). They will bow down and get the hackles up, maybe jump once or twice, but that's it. no worries!

5. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks y'all. I'll just go as planned and improvise if needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by