Maintenance Care for Creepy Crawlies Internal and External

HeatherKellyB

✝️ Perfectly Imperfect ✝️
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
I have 3 separate flocks of chickens, a Bachelor Flock of 3 that are 30 weeks old, 5 Pullets (layers) that are 25 Weeks old, and 9 (3 cockerels & 6 pullets) that are 15 weeks and 16 weeks old. I've noticed that two of the 30 week old guys in the bachelor Flock have dirty bottoms (is this called Vent Gleet), with one being worse that the other. Three of the 25 week old pullets are dirty, but none of them look to be really bad. These two flocks share a run, as the boys sleep in there for their protection, while the girls are put up for the night. I don't see this on any of the youngest flock. The youngest flocks (I call them the babies) coop and run is besidetthe other coop and run, with about 5 feet between them. I've read that really fluffy butts tend to be more prone to needing a wash back there, but I don't think it's that. Everyone seems to be acting normal but I have noticed that on occasion I will see a bit of foam in the pullets poop. I suspect some type of worm as I've not wormed them. I asked my vet if he treated chickens and he said no but he knows the closest one that does and it's a couple of hours away and I really can't do that right now. Is there a wormers that will take care of all types of chicken worms? It'd be amazing if there's an option that doesn't require me to throw away eggs, as my girls haven't been laying for very long at all. I'm going to check them over for bugs really well while I am cleaning them up. As always, I really appreciate each one of you. I have been looking into this all day and the amount of conflicting information out there is scary! I was thrilled when I found that ivermectin takes care of lice, mites, and internal parasites, but then found conflicting information. I am so confused and stressed out now. I want to help my birds before whatever this is gets out of hand. Thank you so much for everything!

Edited to add that the 3 boys free range all day every day. I know they got into some food scraps that they don't normally eat (it was for dogs so nothing harmful for them, but I imagine it could have bothered their stomachs) and they had pumpkin guts and seeds the day before yesterday.

Last edited:
Juicy poops and thus dirty butts could be many things.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

I don't treat for anything unless I'm sure they have it.

Have a fecal exam done to determine if inst renal parasites are present.

My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Juicy poops and thus dirty butts could be many things.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

I don't treat for anything unless I'm sure they have it.

Have a fecal exam done to determine if inst renal parasites are present.

My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

The boys free range and they are fed Purina Flock Raisers. They did get into leftovers that was for some dogs. I've noticed my daughter will sneak them tortilla chips, cheeseburger, chicken nuggets, bread, (whatever she is munching on) but I am seriously working on that because it needs to stop. I treat them with raisins, or craisins, or egg (sometimes scrambled in sausage but mostly all eggs).
The girls are fed Purina Layena plus omega and only get treats of raisins, or craisins, or Blueberries, or egg (I am more careful with the girls). They also have access to Purina Flock Raisers and oyster shells.
The babies get purina flock raiser and no treats.

As far as getting a fecal done, do I just call around and ask if whatever vets are still open and ask if they can do a fecal float? Do I need to tell them what all I am looking for and that it's chicken feces? Do I need to collect samples from all birds or just a few? Do I need to keep it cool on the way to have it tested?

I always take the bird into my shop to check them over well (and to wash bottoms). When I let them down to walk around on the floor, they usually leave a poop offering, (I am just being dumb). Is it ok to collect the sample off of the floor to have it tested? It's a hardwood floor.

As far as getting a fecal done, do I just call around and ask if whatever vets are still open and ask if they can do a fecal float? Do I need to tell them what all I am looking for and that it's chicken feces? Do I need to collect samples from all birds or just a few? Do I need to keep it cool on the way to have it tested?
They will definitely want to know the species.
Any vet SHOULD be able to read a fecal sample but many won't do so for chickens. Most of those who will, want to see the 'patient'.
It is ok to pick it from the floor or even the ground. I once had a flock with really messy vent area feathers. I suspected worms but rather than treating, I searched forever to find a vet who would read a sample without seeing 'the patient'.
There were no worms but they had a severe clostridial bacteria infection. He gave me antibiotics which solved the problem.
It is always better to know for sure what it is rather than guessing.

The boys free range and they are fed Purina Flock Raisers. They did get into leftovers that was for some dogs. I've noticed my daughter will sneak them tortilla chips, cheeseburger, chicken nuggets, bread, (whatever she is munching on) but I am seriously working on that because it needs to stop. I treat them with raisins, or craisins, or egg (sometimes scrambled in sausage but mostly all eggs).
The girls are fed Purina Layena plus omega and only get treats of raisins, or craisins, or Blueberries, or egg (I am more careful with the girls). They also have access to Purina Flock Raisers and oyster shells.
The babies get purina flock raiser and no treats.
How are you keeping the birds on separate feeds, are they house separately?

Cut out all the treats for a couple weeks and see what happens.
Have your daughter clean the poopy butts, maybe taht will change her tune? :D

Feeding my animals people food is a no no in my world...
....might be fun for humans, but not good for the animals.
I told folks who wanted to fed my dogs people food that they could if they cleaned up the diarrhea and vomit.
That 'enlightened' them. :gig

How are you keeping the birds on separate feeds, are they house separately?

The boys sleep in a run and I have Flock Raiser and water there. (my original plans were to rehome the boys/send to freezer camp, but I haven't womaned up enough yet, so we're making do) The girls have a coop and small run that connects to the bigger run but can be closed to separate them, so the boys don't have access to the girls, although they still dance for them and follow them around from the outside. I have Purina Layer (my girls really don't seem to like the layer food very much), oyster shell, and water there.

Back
Top Bottom