1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Maintenance De-Wormers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rsweet, Mar 15, 2016.

1. rsweet

rsweet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2014
    Tijeras, New Mexico
    Is there any reason to put our flock on a monthly / semi annual or any other maintenance de-worming schedule?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Do you eat your chickens' eggs? I believe that when you use dewormers, there is a two-week waiting period before you can eat the eggs again. I could be wrong - I personally don't believe in medicating if I don't see a problem, so I really don't know.

3. rsweet

rsweet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2014
    Tijeras, New Mexico
    Yes we do. What are the signs of worms?

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sometimes people actually see worms in the chickens' feces. If you're concerned, I think you can take a fecal sample in to the vet and have it checked. Other than that, I really don't know.

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I only de-worm if i see worms present in poo. In some areas, vet services are either pants and / or too expensive. I use a broad spectrum de-wormer - some of which do not have a withdrawal period for egg consumption.

CT

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The only worm you're probably going to see in feces is round worm, everything else is microscopic-invisible to the naked eye.

Instead of regular de-worming....regular fecal testing,
    by someone/someplace that will give you an accurate reading on what is present and how much of it is present.

Lots of wormers you'll read about being used on chickens are off label(so no accurate withdrawal periods established) or actually banned from use on poultry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by