Maintenance...whatta pain!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Blisschick, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    As if taking care of the boys and girls wasn't enough, it's taking care of what they live in, too. Sometimes it feels like I'm always having to fix something--if it's not the roof of a shelter, then it's fixing the netting or a hole in the wire....[​IMG]

I have to replace the main support pole on my big pen. The pole holds up wire that supports the netting over my pen. This is going to be a big pain. I've got to move the wires, pull out the old pole (that part will be easy since it's broken at the ground), put the new pole in, reattach the wires at the top and the edges of the pen, then reset the netting--after removing all the leaves--on them. After that, I have to make sure there are no holes in the netting. THEN, I get to scrape all the poop off the top of the shelter so the girls can have a clean place to roost again.

Once that is done, I have to repair all the damage my turkeys have done to the wiring around the top rails of two other pens. I'm gonna use the hubby's air stapler for that. Hammer and staples suck.

On to moving the chick nursery pen...I have to find a new location in the yard, set it up, separate out the older birds to their proper pens, which throws everyone into an uproar for a few days.

Next project: setting the posts for three sides of a turkey pen, fencing it, netting it. Building new shelters.

Somewhere along the line, pull all the old wire off a cage frame and replace it all properly. The original owners did not know what they were doing.

After all this, something else is going to need attention. [​IMG]

Somewhere in between all this, I must take care of my house to some degree, the yard, and work here. Good thing my kids are teens...they and the hubby can fend for themselves!

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I sure do know how you feel...it's so hard to keep up sometimes, I too am thankful my kids are mostly grown up and can take care of themselves...

When it gets overwhelming I look around and say thank you, because this time last year I was living in a little house that I rented with a tiny back yard, no grass, no chickens and on a busy street with drug dealing neighbors, it was horrible. We moved to this little town and bought this old farm house with it's little quirks, but it's ours and even though there is so much needing done, I'm so thankful to have it, problems and all.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:AW, HUSH UP AND GET TO WORK! [​IMG]

Question is: Is it worth it? [​IMG]

4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Question is: Is it worth it?

I forgot to include that question. I knew I was forgetting something...

Yes.

I might complain, but I do enjoy raising my chickens, turkeys, and guineas. There's never a dull moment in the yard. Even though they're work, it's gratifying, because they're mine. We own our place, so I can do what I want, whenever I want, and have as many birds as I want. (Well, not really...the DH won't let me have a hatchery. [​IMG]) Besides, it gives me something to do to keep me out of trouble. [​IMG]

BTW, Rooster...I found a picture just for you...​

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep the overwhelming factor comes to play every now and again.... makes me wonder why I do this sometimes. Then I remember all the gradification I get from being blessed with the ability and tolerance to raise and keep poultry and other animals. Winter does add stress to the effort needed to get er done...

bigzio

6. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Hey!!!! You dont have time to be on here!

You have things to do, get to it

[​IMG]

7. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I was thinking the same thing today -- I noticed the eggs were getting dirty, even though I put fresh straw in the nest boxes. It's because the outdoor run has been so frozen solid I haven't been able to clean it properly, and recently it's thawed out a bit... so it's basically a poop field. :eek: The hens are walking all over it and bringing their dirty feet into the nests... Argh!

I've been working extra hours at my store for the Christmas rush, and I haven't had time to thoroughly clean my house, let alone my HENhouse, for a couple weeks.

I can't wait for January... peace... quiet... hopefully not so cold...

9. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

it's the biggest snow of the season and i came home to pulled down roof and snow inside shelter.

is it worth it.

uh,

ask me next year. lol.

10. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Ahhh yes.....this is what we call winter time blues...Ice comes, pulls down the netting, ice jams in the roofing...muddy coops,nests,eggs.....IF there are eggs! [​IMG] Frozen water dishes, :thun worrying about frostbit combs and wadles....keeping hungry predators away...and lighting the coops to get those little bundles of yolkie joy! We grumble, splash through mud, ice, wind, rain..and complain all the way. Then, SPRING comes...and the hens start laying in full force. Before you know it there are little peeps coming from every corner!! [​IMG] Is it worth it....I say OH YEAH ! ! ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by