Majic Jack and frustration

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by dawg53, Nov 8, 2010.

1. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Earlier this year in January I purchased Majic Jack to save money. I had to pay about $40 for startup, about $24 a year thereafter....a good deal, and eliminating long distance service with our local phone company. Majic Jack is easy to plug into the computer and simply follow the directions when prompted on the computer screen. It takes awhile to install and you get get your own phone number. Since I dont live in a city, they gave me the prefix phone number for Brunswick, Georgia...which is ok. The only minor issues I had with Majic Jack were that sometimes there was an echo of my voice, other times a minor delay when speaking to someone or the other person speaking to me. We only used it for long distance as we still had local only on our other phone. All in all, we were satisfied with Majic Jack, til it started acting up and reconfigured itself for headset only use. We didnt have headsets. I contacted a Majic Jack representative through Majic Jack's menu with no problems (as advertised) and typed in the problem I was having. The Majic Jack rep told me I had to click this and that, then do this, do that, then go to this, etc....and I'm not computer literate! I told him this and he was understanding and would walk me through it...he tried his best and I got fed up because I didnt know what he was talking about lol. I finally thanked him for his help and told him I was terminating Majic Jack and will get long distance service elsewhere. We said our final goodbyes and that was it. I definitely saved quite abit of money with Majic Jack and their TV advertisements are pretty much true. But if there's a problem with it, it's best that someone who is computer savvy fixes it. I managed to uninstall Majic Jack, that was fairly easy.

2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mom has one and her only gripe is that if the power goes out, no phone... since it's through the puter.

Normally your lines still work when the power is out, so you can call in and report the power being out, not her.

Of course that's not true if you've got cordless phones, which is why I keep a corded one next to the jack along with the power company's number and a candle all ready to go.

But anywho, Mom's not a guru per se, but she can navigate SABRE like it's nobody's business and with good tech's on the line... she was okay... unless she fibbed and she really called in my brother to fix it for her. [​IMG]

3. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    well my dad got me one I used it a total of may 3 or 4 times and took my computer over and messed it up with adware. had to take my computer into the shop and get it fixed. I will never use the thing again. that stupid thing cost me 134.00, the repair man said that they are programed with the adware in them. just my experience

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:WOW! I didnt know that. I dont know if I had any adware problems or not. I know my laptop is running faster since I uninstalled it.

5. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    The programming seemed flawed and crashed on me all the time. Didn't help that they didn't have anything other than a windows XP version when it first came out... Wasn't origionally compatable with Visa, or any linux that I knew of. Even running wine it crashed all the time....

6. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    I'm going with "OOMA". My neighbor has had it for about 13 months and loves it. It's a bit pricey to sign up, but after that it's free. No adware, no configuration problems. http://www.ooma.com/

7. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    All of my long distance is through our cell phones. (Business phones)

I do have an 800 number for the house, it isn't very costly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by