MAJOR CONCERNS!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mahen8622, Feb 9, 2009.

1. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    hey all i had ordered 2 dozen eggs from someone on BYC a great mix of eggs and i am / was super excited abou them that is until that stupid devil ice storm hit me and i was out of power for almost 9 days and of course the eggs showed up during day 2 or 3 of now power, ne who no tthe sellers fault so the eggs stayed in a shoe box with wetted napkings and thermometers and the temp stayed around 95- 102 dgrees , i candled them yesterday and couldnt really see anything and some of the eggs looked like the air pocket that usually is in the big end of the egg wasnt there at all and some looked like there was an air buble inside the egg... should i be concerned are all these eggs bad??? should i jsut wait til my next candling im soooo upset i dnt know what to do?!

and another q what if you dont let ur eggs rest after theyve been shipped nad you put them in the bator only after 6 or 7 hours of resting will that kill the embryos?

HELLLLP IM A CRAZY CHICKEN LADY LOL

2. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    Doesn't hurt to set them. I don't know, it would have been better if you would have kept them in a cool place until power was restored, but I don't think you have killed them. Your hatch rate might be affected, but I bet you still do fairly well.

3. mahen8622

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    thanks for the insight the dozen i let rest bu the last six i put in only rest for about 6 or 7 hours. i havent been able to tell anything so im crossing my fingers

4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    On reflection, you might have been better served by storing the eggs, at 50F and 50% RH, turning once a day until the power was restored. Viability would have reduced maybe 20%, but the rest would be fine.

The set up you describe has temp swings right on the limits (esp. for the first 7 days), and the humidity was likely way too high.

OTOH, you now have nothing to lose .... set them in the incubator, and cross your fingers.

Good luck [​IMG]

5. mahen8622

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    actually i was veeeryy lucky i had the humidity perfect [​IMG] hope they make it! i got some really cool eggs i want to hatch lol

im very new to this big chicken world so i didnt know it was safe for them to be stored at a low temp like that

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If you had no power how did you keep them that warm? How many days have you had them at that temp? It usually takes me 4-5 days to see veins on my bantam eggs which are really easy to see through. If the eggs were kept a bit cool it might take 7 days of incubating to see anything and if they have darker shells or your flashlight isn't so great it may take even longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by