MAJOR COTURNIX HELP NEEDED MAY DIE!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Coturnix Quail, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    OK SO FIRST OFF THIS IS MY FIRST TIME RAISING QUAIL. I HAVE MY TAME ONE AND A FEW OTHERS SEPERATE BECAUSE IT WAS HAED TO FIND MY TAME ONE OUT OF 42 OTHER QUAIL. SO OONE DAY I CHECKED AND SOME KIND OF PREDATOR, PROBABLY A FOX, CAME AND ATE 2 OUT OF THE CAGE. LUCKILY IT DIDNY GET MY TAME ONE. BUT NOW MY TAME ONE ISNT TE ANYMORE SO HOW DO I GET IT TO TRUST ME AGAIN? SECOND OFF, WE TOOK THE ONES IN THE CO-OP INTO A FRW DOG CAGES, AND WERE GOING TO PLACE THEM IN THE GARAGE JUST IN CASE THE PREDATOR CAME AGAIN. SO AS WE WERE PUTTING THEM IN WE HAD A "REHABILITATION CAGE" ALSO CONTAINING MY TAME (NOT SO TAME) QUAIL IN IT. THEN WE FOUND A FEW FRIEBDLY ONES, AND ALSO PUT THOSE IN THERE TOO, BUT ONE WAS EXTREMELY PECKED AT IT WAS ALMOST BLEEDING. FURTHER INSPECTION AND I FOUND THAT THERR WAS ANOTHER LAYER OF SKIN BEFORE THAT THAT HAD BEEN PULLED. I LEFT IT THERE WITH THE OTHER S LASF NIGHT AND RIGHT NIW ITS SITTING THERE WITH ITS EYES CLOSED. PLEASE HELP ME WHAT DO I DO IVE ALREADY HAVE ENOUGH QUAILS DIE!!:hit

2. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    How old are your quail now?

Was the hurt one a male?

Quail get spooked after a predator scare... Give her time and hopefully she will feel safe again.

You need to keep the injured bird warm and by itself until it heals. Give it privacy once it has what it needs.

For outdoor quail, wire cages and chicken wire isn't enough - predators can either reach through or bite through. Hardware cloth is predator proof and 1/4" will keep even mice and tiny snakes out. You need to build them a more secure cage to avoid this from happening again - a predator could possibly come in the daytime as well.

Hope your hurt quail is okay!

3. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Thanks for your concern and always being there. They're a few months old now. I'm pretty sure it's a male. So in a different cage, and should I put a heat lamp on it because I put them in the garage now. Thanks , wish me luck.

4. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes a heat lamp would benefit him :) make sure there's also a cooler area to move to as well.

You may have a particularly aggressive male who did the damage - sometimes they are also bloody on the chest and stuff since they did the damage and probably chased the bleeding one around some more.

Unfortunately, this is the reality of keeping mature male quail together - there's the risk of them really hurting each other out of competition :(. How many males do you have?

5. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Did not count.. Whoops XD. BUT, I'm going to soon because we're gonna make small cages for breeding groups. I wish it wasn't like this. Alright, well, I'll seperate him, and give him a heat lamp. Should I leave it on at night? Thanks.:)

6. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    A 60 watt incandescent bulb at one end is good, an infrared is better and won't disrupt his day/night cycle. Since he's in a recovery cage,
    I'd opt for the infrared since it should be on 24/7.

7. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Thanks. I didn't sperate him today, but he seems to be doing better.

8. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    It was probably the other male quail that injured your bird, not the predator. They need to be separated once matured, by 6-9 weeks, or they will eventually start to injure or kill each other. One of the realities of keeping coturnix is what to do with the extra males since you only keep one male to every 4-8 hens. Usually people eat them since everyone else that raises quail has extra males too.

9. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Thanks. But um, since my tame quail got frightened, she is scared of me now. And she was naturally tame, so how do I get her to trust me again. I tried but she hates me now... Help? :hit

10. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd recommend time and referring back to the other post you started about taming quail - don't rush her :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by