Major egg problem

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Dec 15, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Aside from the two dozen eggs I have set in cartons to deliver tomorrow and the 5 cartons I have out with customers, I am completely out of egg cartons. I have 50something eggs in the frig. in various covered bowls.

Like an idiot, a month or so ago I threw out over 20 cardboard cartons because my big girls were molting and not laying and the younger girls hadn't started laying yet. The cartons were taking up space I needed for something else and getting old, dusty and ratty looking.

Now I have no cartons and can't afford to order any this close to christmas. I've put the word out amongst friends and co-workers that I need cartons.

Stupid idea, throwing those cartons out. [​IMG]

2. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    If you have repeat customers, maybe ask them if they can bring in their old cartons from last time?

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yeah, during the phase out of last seasons selling the cartons went out and didn't come back in.

Another idea that just occured to me. I have a neighbor that may or may not have some cartons saved up. Gonna call her later on today and offer to trade her some pullet eggs (too small to sell) in exchange for any extra cartons she may have.

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    TSC carries them here. I have people I know save them for me. I always have a supply. I know a lady who sells eggs. Her eggs are $3.00 and $2.50 if you supply your own carton. so she doesnt have to worry about haveing a ton of cartons around.

5. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    Our friends give the eggs in baskets.... I like that so much, that I now store my eggs in baskets. Pretty cardboard boxes would work too.... I think if you dressed up anything, the eggs would look great!

Oh one thing to add: the baskets are just plastic baskets that people usually give to thrift stores.....but it looks fantastic!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I had a ton of cartons folks had given me, during the last egg season. It's just a bunch of them were used cardboard cartons and as I said, they got ratty-looking, so I pitched them.

It's just time for me to get the word out again that I need cartons.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Got any spare Easter baskets? I'd use those in a pinch, with kids we always have a TON of them laying around.

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Nah, the easter baskets are long gone from this household (thank goodness! says the wife of a packrat). I think I still have a bunch of wicker egg baskets, left over from my late MIL's stash. I'm gonna look around.

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If you were close I'd give you a big stack. I take all the egg cartons my customers want to give me, but I only use the styrofoam dozens so all the others just pile up. Couldn't sell any at the swaps so I guess the next one comes along I'll just give them away to get them out of my workshop.

Put an ad in your local Freecycle or Craigs List. I've had people who heard I sell eggs give me grocery bags full that they've been saving for whatever.

10. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    I was cleaning a first or second grade classroom last week, and saw a big pile of cartons. Check with your local elementary schools. They may have some that they saved for a project. Just a thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by