1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Major feather loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bigbird, Nov 15, 2010.

1. bigbird

bigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Hello: I have four large chickens and two silkies that live and get along great together. Two of my hens have had serious feather problems. I know for a fact that they had mites. I have cleaned and basically sterilized their house, and treated their legs with vasoline for two weeks. They were all dusted with 7 and had 7 in their dirt boxes. The one that was the worst was covered in the purple stuff. (Sorry, I don't remember the name off hand). The same hen was given injections of antibiotics and then vitamins were put in their water. She seems to get better and then the feathers fall off again. The feather loss in on her chest, and on her back in front of tail. I am at the end of my rope with her and simply do not know what to do. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I guess I'm wondering if she's molting following her bout w/mites??? Are you seeing any porcupine quill looking regrowth in the areas that have lost so many feathers??? Or are you still finding mites on her????

3. bigbird

bigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    I don't think so, unless they can molt for months at a time.

4. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    I've had a hen going through a really tough molt. It's been months. Have you checked the feathers back by the vent? Do you see clusters of eggs or bugs at all? How about new feathers growing in in the bald areas or under the wings??

5. Tracy and the Girls

Tracy and the Girls Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    do u have any roos.
    they might have got into a little fight and pecked off the feathers

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

So how long ago were the mites killed off, or are you still battling them (look her over REALLY well)??? I'm trying to determine what kind of time we're talking about. A molt can last quite a while, although not several months. But she could have battled mites for a month or two, and then molted for a month or two, which would be a long time range... Stress (including illness, severe mite problems, medications, etc.) can bring on a molt. So if her "illness" and treatment lasted quite a while, I just think it's possible that she began going into a molt directly after. But it could be other things too...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by