MAJOR HELP NEEDED! I have a Silkie chick that has a lump on his head and cant stand up!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkieGirl 1, Jul 7, 2016.

1. SilkieGirl 1

SilkieGirl 1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2014
    I am hatching Silkie chicks and two already hatched perfectly. I also had another chick try to hatch, but when it did not un zip like the last two, super fast! I got worried. I pulled back most of the shell and found that the membrane dried out onto the chick. He is peeping loudly but trying to get out of the egg. Today me and my mother helped him out of the shell but the silkie chick has a large bump on the top of his head, a large stomach and his feet seemed to be inward instead of out. He wont even open his eyes! The chick tries franticly to stand up. It just breaks my heart to see him this way. [​IMG]

First Picture of chick.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully you can see the bump on his head.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have looked up what that bump on his head was and I think it is "Water in the Brain". But he isn't standing and I don't think that he can even lift his head!! Please help!!! [​IMG]

UPDATE: So It has been a hour, his eyes are open and he is trying to walk around but he is stumbling a bit. But he still has a big bump on his head, is it contagious? PLEASE help!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  2. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    It has a bump on its head! What The Heck Is A Vaulted Skull? post #46616

2 people like this.
  3. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Go Habs Go Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    Beat me to it! :lol:

5. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    How is his stomach now?

6. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Yea but you splained it better.

7. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    vaulted skulls is a very sought after trait in silkies
    i think it is just tired from hatching
    Good Luck!!

1 person likes this.
  8. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I agree with a vaulted skull. It can look quite alarming if it's not what you are expecting to see. When my first ever polish chick hatched I was horrified to see what it looked like but it's all quite normal for vaulted skull breeds.
    A > Vaulted skull.
    B > Non vaulted skull.

[​IMG]

The navel can look a little swollen after hatch as the chick has just absorbed the yolk into there. As long as the umbilical area is clean looking it should be fine.
    Bumbling around the incubator and not been able to walk is totally normal for post hatch. They are worn out from hatching so lots of sleeping and short bursts of movement can be expected. It takes a while for them to uncurl so to speak from the position they were in inside the egg.

Good luck with your chicks :D

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    2 people like this.
  9. SilkieGirl 1

Dec 5, 2014

He is a lot better! He is walking around and sleeping! Thank you so much! I was super worried!

10. SilkieGirl 1

Dec 5, 2014
    Thanks everyone! I was so worried, now I am ok! The chick is doing good, he has his eyes open and is walking around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by