Major Help Needed!! Im freicking out!!

Chick423

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Hi all,

I need your wisdom on a situation with one of my girls.....My favorite girl at that! Phyllis is a Australorp that I've had for about 8 months now, she is gorgeous, and seems to be doing great in every sense. Here is my issue, she just started limping a couple of days ago, but it seems like a weird limp almost like her leg is super stiff. I have checked her for any injuries and she has none that I can see. I had a Golden Sex Link that was doing the same type of limping about 3 months ago that eventually stopped walking all together and died. I can't have this happen to my Phyllis!

Have any of you had a situation like this where it may seem more of a disease or something? I have 11 hens and 1 rooster and he isn't the tender touch kinda guy, so maybe he hurt her or one of my horses stepped on her. My hubby calls me the crazy chicken lady so these girls are way important to me!

She is eating, drinking and laying so she isn't egg bound. Everything else seems pretty normal from her. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I need your wisdom on a situation with one of my girls.....My favorite girls at that! Phyllis is a Australorp that I've had for about 8 months now, she is gorgeous, and seems to be doing great in every sense. Here is my issue, she just started limping a couple of days ago, but it seems like a weird limp almost like her leg is super stiff. I have checked her for any injuries and she has none that I can see. I had a Golden Sex Link that was doing the same type of limping about 3 months ago that eventually stopped walking all together and died. I can't have this happen to my Phyllis!

Have any of you had a situation like this where it may seem more of a disease or something? I have 11 hens and 1 rooster and he isn't the tender touch kinda guy, so maybe he hurt her or one of my horses stepped on her. My hubby calls me the crazy chicken lady so these girls are way important to me!

She is eating, drinking and laying so she isn't egg bound. Everything else seems pretty normal from her. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Im thinking maybe the rooster has hurt her! Have you got her separated? Do so because the rooster might take advantage of her and hurt her more!

Sounds like an injury to me that just isn't visible. Maybe like a sprain or pulled muscle. Sounds like you also have the right ratio of hen to roo so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Sometimes they might land hard getting off the roost or perches. With your previous experience, I can understand your concern. I would just make sure no one is picking on her and there is no further deterioration. If that occurs then I would separate her for special treatment. What is her age?

ETA: It's always our favorite.
barnie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom